Q finder in more familiar terms?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 equuleus

equuleus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm looking to calculate the parameters of the Q3.5 mirror finder in more familiar terms. By that I mean most finder scopes are shown as 6x30 or 9x50, etc. So how can I relate the Q finder to that? It will depend on the eyepiece used (and the Q barlow if employed). So how can I covert that to the more familiar power x diam? Questar gives 4" Fl., 4x and 8x, Field 12° and 8°, perhaps with the 24mm and 12mm Brandons. But what is that in terms of power x diam and with other eyepieces? True, it's the power and field of view that's important but how to calculate power x diam?

#2 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm looking to calculate the parameters of the Q3.5 mirror finder in more familiar terms....

I figured some finder parameters and posted them in this old CN thread (of one post) (click here). I think this is what you want.

#3 equuleus

equuleus

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Thanks much, JimK. Just what I was looking for.

#4 planetmalc

planetmalc

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm looking to calculate the parameters of the Q3.5 mirror finder in more familiar terms. By that I mean most finder scopes are shown as 6x30 or 9x50, etc. So how can I relate the Q finder to that? It will depend on the eyepiece used (and the Q barlow if employed).

On my early quartz-mirrored Q3.5, I don't think I was able to use the Q's Barlow with the finder (wouldn't come to focus). I haven't tried it with my Q7.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics