Semi-remote observatory file access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

I have been using teamviewr for some time now, but getting files around from the observatory downstairs to my TV room has always been an annoying experience.

So I purchased myself a Western Digital Mybook live 2TB and hooked it up to my network. In a short time I was saving files to it directly and accessing them from downstairs for fooling around with while I image.. :) I love this drive and I recommend it to anybody who would rather image from another room that is just too far to hook up directly to the telescope.

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I don't get it? :) Your obs computer is on your network right? Or, you have it save to a network drive.. and then connect to that from your other computer?

Either way, it is nice to have it automated. The thing to watch out for is if it drops off line... lots of guys complain about losing oodles of data due to the network drive failing and your software just happily shooting away.

#3 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I forgot to mention why network drive. First is that I have found windows file sharing doesn't work reliably with my router. There is some security feature that keeps on blocking it. Second is that this drive allows me to access the files from my office at lunch break to fiddle with processing or while traveling abroad

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ok, I get it :) thanks, that is a good idea.

#5 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

Does the drive support a RAID setting? I now only buy network drives are multi-disc and support RAID. So far there have been 2 times I'm glad I did.

I would hate to see you lose 2TBs of data.

#6 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

It doesnt support raid, but it has the capability to back itself up to another drive on it's own. I haven't purchased another drive I wanted to see how this works for me.

They do have models with built in raid, but I think they are configured for capacity not redundancy. They also give you the option to back up to their cloud based back up service, but it is far cheaper to just set up another drive to back up to automatically.

#7 averen

averen

Vendor Main Sequence Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Austin TX

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:03 AM

I use Dropbox to push files from my obs to my desktop and laptop.

The upside is that it's generally fairly quick and they're in multiple places. The downside is that my dropbox gets full rather quickly. I generally clear the files out of my Dropbox in the morning after the imaging run is complete and place them on my network drive.

All my PCs are on the same network but this would actually work fairly well if you had a completely remote obs. I don't go directly to the network drive as I don't want some network hiccup to derail my imaging session (once was enough).

Also Dropbox is smart enough to know when the syncing PCs are on the local network and in those cases it will push files to the syncing PCs using the local network vs hitting the cloud first...so it's quite fast.

Jared

#8 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

Posted 24 November 2013 - 02:05 AM

In my scenario, all my computers are on a local network my only bottle neck is the network bandwidth from the observatory to the drive. I have upgraded to faster wifi but it is still rather restrictive with regards to speed. I am now working pulling a network cable to the roof so I can run off gigabit Ethernet.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics