Photo

Telescope or binoculars for 7-8 year old?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

The ST80 can always be used down the road as a finder for a larger scope, for beginning AP, as a guider scope, etc....should they stay in the hobby, and can be sold very easily should they not.....

#27 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

Richard, whatever you decide to get your grandchildren in the way of optical aid, it would be best to make certain the instrument will be secured during daylight hours, at least until they're a bit older.

Young children's mental processes aren't fully developed, thus they can do very foolish things, especially if egged on by similarly reason-challenged peers. A glance at the Sun on a dare could easily lead to a lifetime of recriminations for all concerned.

#28 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:31 PM

Very, very, good point. young children should never be allowed to use a scope without supervision....

#29 vismundcygnus

vismundcygnus

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I was thinking earlier about the possibility of a spotting scope for a young boy. He travels a bit so it would need to be compact for him to take it with him everywhere, and fairly rugged as well. Does anyone have experience with some of the smaller spotting scopes (50-70mm)? The zoom eyepiece seems like a plus as well; there would be no fumbling around with eyepieces and no worry about the usual trash that comes with a "beginner" scope. I think the ST80 might be just a tad big for this kid since doesn't live with us year round so I would like something he could take easily back and forth.

I can understand the optics might not be as good as some telescopes, and definite magnification limitations, but otherwise a spotting scope with a zoom seems like a great way to get a young kid on the move started.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics