Photo

What else is out there for a beginners AP mount..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 thywyn

thywyn

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: VA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

I suppose I'm in the same category as many just beginning APers in that I need a mount upgrade. I've been told that my max total target of 14kg puts me in the realm of the CGEM DX, AZ-EQ6 GT, G-11, IEQ45, or the Altas Pro... So, my question is are there any other mounts available in the US besides these in the similar price range and capability?

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Well, 14kg is 31 lbs. By the mantra of "half the rated weight" all the mounts you mentioned above are marginal:

The CGEM-DX is rated at 50lbs.
The G11 is best for you at 60.
The Atlas Pro is only 44.
The AZ-EQ6 helpfully quotes "payload capacity 18kg for imaging and 25kg for visual"--all good, except, unfortunately, runs afoul of the mantra.

Of course different marketing departments, different statements as to what mounts can carry...

#3 thywyn

thywyn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, following that ".5 of advertised payload" is why I'm asking the question. It seems my options are limited and wanted to see what else might be out there

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:00 PM

My mi250 is rated for around 100 lbs if you can find one.

#5 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

You are planning on using the Starfinder 10" for AP? Why not just upgrade the Starfinder EQ?

obin :question:

#6 Skunky

Skunky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

There are other mounts but not in that price range..

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

i think the 50% rule can be bent a little, say to 60% or at most 70% if the tube is not long. In which case all of the usual suspects are probably ok-ish. EQ6/Atlas or NEQ6 are probably the safest bets.

#8 thywyn

thywyn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

While I'm accruing my hobby budget for the future mount, I am trying to use the EQ mount that the starfinder comes with. I've read in other forums that the mount is underrated for the 10" since the mount was shipped for both the 8" and 10" starfinders. I haven't given up, but there seems to be a bent encoder disk in the enclosure.. :\ Also, tightness of the worm drive to the RA gear is either way too much slop or can't track at all. I can't seem to get the right balance. It's been interesting so far and I've learned alot about it taking it apart. So, I'm happy learning about the craft while I wait, that is until I start thinking about 5-10 minute subs.. can't even get a good 30 sec sub... Darn you polar alignment!!! (I'm still practicing my drift aligning)

#9 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

Did you polish and tune the mount? What you will need for long subs is a drive corrector. The other option is getting a Byers drive for it. You have options and all of them are less expensive than a new mount.

Most of these photos are with the Starfinder 10 on its original mount:

http://astrokraai.nl/viewequipment.php

obin :)

#10 thywyn

thywyn

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Great pics Obin!
Couple of questions:
1. drive corrector = auto-guider?
2. byers drive, that's a new one for me. might be too much modding for my skills, but certainly an interesting option.
3. How do you tune it? I've already degreased the black tar off of it and put some new grease on there and tried to re-adjust the worm block a couple of times. That's all I've done so far.

#11 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Great pics Obin!
Couple of questions:
1. drive corrector = auto-guider?
2. byers drive, that's a new one for me. might be too much modding for my skills, but certainly an interesting option.
3. How do you tune it? I've already degreased the black tar off of it and put some new grease on there and tried to re-adjust the worm block a couple of times. That's all I've done so far.

The pics aren't mine but they are a fair representation of what is possible. To answer your questions:

1) The drive corrector will correct for the RA motor either being too fast or too slow.
2) The Byers drives are very high quality. Switching to one is still far cheaper than buying a new mount. http://www.ebay.com/..._nkw=byers gear
3) Tuning the mount can be done for about $20 in materials. All you need is the materials to polish the metal on your mount. A quick trip to a Lowes or Home Depot will find you metal polishing compound as well as some other polishing materials. I have my Starfinder EQ so smooth that before I adjusted the clutch it spun like a top. It was so effortless that light pinky finger force was enough to move it. I was able to keep Saturn dead center of my CCD for about 45 minutes while we were imaging with the webcam. I might try some DSLR photography but I don't have a bahtinov mask that large.

obin :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics