CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi EM11 load capacity enough for CN-212?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

I am presently using the CN-212 with an iOptron ZEQ25 mount (see picture), but this setup is too unstable and vibration prone for visual. Therefore, I am looking for a more steady alternative, but at the same time staying portable.

The CN-212 without accessories weighs 8kg, with a tube length of about 30". The nominal maximal load capacity of the EM11 is 9kg, the optimal 6kg. However, I read that Tahashi's nominal load capacities are notoriously conservative. Would the EM11 be able to carry a Cn-212 OTA with eyepieces, binoviewer or camera gear etc. so that meaningful work is possible?

Best regards
Heinz

Attached Files

#2 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

This is... interesting.

8kg is only about 17lb which is far less than the ZEQ25's rated capacity. And you say it's not stable even for visual? granted the CN212 is a long tube, but I guess this says something about iOptron's weight ratings..

#3 Bluejay08

Bluejay08

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

212mm in diameter and 855mm in length without accessories, it will be a little challenge to balance on a mount in this payload range. Using an extension bar to balance the OTA won't do any good for stability.

My 2C.

Jay

#4 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:09 PM

I would advise a larger mount.
On my EM-10 (older version of EM-11) the CN-212 was ok for visual both Newt & Cass.
As long as there was not much wind I could on/off guide in cass mode.
I did not have a light guider to mount up top at the time so not sure how well that would work.

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Singapore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:22 PM

i think the OP only wants to do visual..

#6 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

"Would the EM11 be able to carry a Cn-212 OTA with eyepieces, binoviewer or camera gear etc. so that meaningful work is possible?"

#7 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Heinz,

In combination with the intended use with binoviewer, (heavy) eyepieces or camera gear, the EM-11 is too light.
Forget the EM-11 for your CN-212, even for visual only. At serious lunar powers of 400x and above, you will never be happy with it.
I would go with the EM-200, this is the right mount for your CN-212 and the mount which Takahashi recommends for OTA's in the Mewlon-210, CN-212 or TOA-130 class.

Stephan

#8 tomcody

tomcody

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Titusville, Florida

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

"Would the EM11 be able to carry a Cn-212 OTA with eyepieces, binoviewer or camera gear etc. so that meaningful work is possible?"

Check out this site for a good review of EM11 carrying capacity;
web page
Rex

#9 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Thank you very much for your help, everyone. I am afraid, I have to face the fact that there is no portable solution for the CN 212 with a German Equatorial Mount. Too sad!
I might have to stick to a altitude-azimuth type of mount, such as the TReX, the DM-mount or the AOK. This also means, that portable imaging will not be possible with the CN 212. There is one solution though, albeit a very expensive one. This is the Danish altitude-azimuth mount TTS-160 Panther, which also was designed for imaging and has a load capacity of more than 20kg, while staying portable. But the price...! This is the link:
http://trackthestars...telescope-mount
A dream?

Heinz

#10 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

There is one solution though, albeit a very expensive one. This is the Danish altitude-azimuth mount TTS-160 Panther, which also was designed for imaging and has a load capacity of more than 20kg, while staying portable. But the price...! This is the link:
http://trackthestars...telescope-mount
A dream?

Heinz

Never heard of the Danish TTS-160 Panther mount. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, it looks very interesting! Telescope capacity is specified at generously 16-24 kg, depending on mount configuration and telescope length. Sounds good and well worth to be considered, if money is no problem. In other case, and for portable visual only, I would opt for the AYOmaster from AOK Swiss.

Stephan

#11 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:25 AM

Yes, the AYOmaster Looks like a very good mount, and it should be able to carry a heavy scope easily, but on the other hand it is more than double the price of a T Rex, And it does not have slow motion controls. The T Rex does have less load capacity but it works very well with my M 250. So it should work also with the CN 212, I suppose.

#12 Ryuno

Ryuno

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

This Danish mount is rather heavy, so I am a little bit in doubt about the portability. It weighs 25 kg without counterweights. But it is very versatile. It can be used as a side mounting mount, for example to mount to telescopes together on both sides. Or as a centre mounting mount for one telescope only with counterweights, for imaging. And it is very beautiful.

Heinz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics