Idiots Guide - NEQ6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lakerball

lakerball

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

I need an idiots guide to the neq6(atlas). Its my first eq mount, and I have NO IDEA what I am doing wrong - I cant get it to get remotely close on go-to's. Beyond frustrating. The manual for it is less than helpful.

No problems balancing it, that bits easy. But from there, I've got nothing.

Can someone give me a brief guide to setting this thing up(southern hemisphere) for a nights viewing? Its driving me wild!! :tonofbricks:

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

What you need to do is follow the alignment tips in the manual closely. Do a three star alignment, and make damned sure you are centering the correct stars.

#3 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

This is the very basic simple alignment:

Make sure your finder scope and main OTA are aligned.
Get your mount close to level.
Point the Right Accession axis and scope at the south pole (you should be able to use Sigma Octantis) and lock down both axis. Use the adjusting bolts to center it in your finder.
Power up the mount and put in the required information.
Do a 3 star alignment.

When centering stars you can change the mount speed by pressing 2 and then a number between 0 Slowest and 9 Fastest to adjust the speed. I usually use 5, then 2 when I get close.

If objects are off when you do a goto, center the object in the finder using the direction buttons on the hand controller, them press Esc for a couple seconds let go, (sometimes you need to press it again for a couple of seconds) and it should ask if you want to ReCenter <last object you did a goto on>, press the Enter button.

If you can start pointed at the south pole instead of Sigma Octantis your goto's will be more accurate.

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics