• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kellogg

Kellogg

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NS, Canada

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

I have a roll off observatory and leave all my equipment out there including my DSLR.

Often I leave the roof open and go to bed, leaving the scope imaging for a few more hours if I know there's no rain forecast.

When I close the roof in the morning the scope and DSLR can be covered in frost, will this lead to any long term damage?

I live in Nova Scotia (Canada) and can expect to see -20C throughout the Winter.

Thanks

#2 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

It can cause problems at some point if you do not use some sort of covering.I would use a rain sleeve for your camera if you are having that much trouble with frost and dew. That will help with both the dew and frost on the DSLR.
I would also try covering or using dew removers for your scope,that would take care of that trouble yet a simple cover,plastic bag, I think,would work just as well.

I have yet to use my OBS as it is still in the process of completing.
I do intend to implement these items as I have stated.

#3 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:30 AM

Cold in and of itself is not really a problem with electrical things. The issue is in thawing you get moisture and that can be an issue. Some of the newest DSLR camera's don't even have mechanical shutters but ones that do could have issues with very cold weather. Not sure what internal lubricant's are used but I have to believe that there is a limit. You might check DPReview.com. This is one of the most popular camera websites. Check the forum's and see what other's might say about cold weather and DSLR cameras.

#4 tim57064

tim57064

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast South Dakota,USA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

I knew someone else would chime in on here.Thanks rimcrazy , I should have left it to the pro's. :waytogo:

#5 shawnhar

shawnhar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

I drape a small towel over the camera end of my scope to prevent the frost/dew from forming on the camera, doesn't stop the scope or guide scope from frosting over though....grrrr

#6 Cdnpilot

Cdnpilot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Getting a DSLR cold is no issue. But constant exposure to dew, humidity and then warming up will cause mold in the camera. At that point the camera will become a door stop.

#7 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:54 PM

What about the LCD displays on them? Don't they have limits? I think there are operating temp limits in the manual.

Alex

#8 TimN

TimN

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I live in a similar climate as you - northern Ontario - and do the same as you do. Normally everything except the camera is covered with frost or dew. Maybe its the cameras slight heat. I haven't had trouble with cold - down to -30C - but I do worry about the moisture when I bring the camera inside and it warms up. So, I seal it in a ziplock bag before I bring it in. I hope this really slows down the time for the camera warming up and therefore not dewing over.

#9 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well, a dew strap on the camera might solve that problem (assuming you use them on your scope, etc.).

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics