Cambridge Double Star Atlas?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 JEH

JEH

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone know why the Cambridge Double Star Atlas has become so hard to get. I ordered this atlas from Amazon in early September for about $35. After Amazon moved the delivery date to between Nov. 21 to Dec. 21 I notice that the price on Amazon jumped to $100-$400. Last week I was able to order the last copy that Orion had for $35 but the train it was on derailed, delaying it a few days and when it arrive to my city, the post office returned it to Orion claiming it had an incorrect address. Orion says if it takes to long for it to be turned around back to me they will cancel the order. Crazy!

#2 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: GMT+9

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Looks like it's out of print until they do another run. If you want something similar until then, the Cambridge Star Atlas by Wil Tirion is available from Amazon for just over $20.

#3 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:59 AM

Cambridge's webpage of the Cambridge Double Star Atlas states "Availability: Unavailable - out of print August 2013". No mention yet on a 2nd printing.

Stephan

#4 DavidNealMinnick

DavidNealMinnick

Ranger 4

• ****-

Posted 01 November 2013 - 03:54 PM

This is the main reason my library keeps growing, not because the books I buy are necessarily wanted at the time, but I worry they'll soon be out of print.

#5 drollere

drollere

Surveyor 1

• Loc: sebastopol, california

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:41 PM

i ardently hope that they are using the opportunity to emend the double star list in the back.

fifty two pages of errors, misprints, omissions and whimsical nomenclature. a train wreck.

the atlas itself is tirion's best (and most original) work in my eyes. but i don't know what mullaney was thinking when he approved the list for publication.

#6 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

I bought the spiral bound CDSA from B&N about a year ago. I didn't know it was difficult to find now. I use it as I like the sky maps but it has issues with incorrect items etc. It's a good star atlas for the field with the nice maps but maybe with a new reprint or edition the other will be corrected...

#7 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

I just checked Cambridge Publishing website which lists the print version as out of print and no longer available as of Aug 2013. They do sell an ebook pdf version for $30 here if that would work.

#8 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:52 PM

Are you sure this is a pdf? I purchased a ebook version from KOBO books and while the text was fine, the charts were so small that they were unreadable and worthless.

I then scanned the charts myself and made my own pdf. It gave me the opportunity to include missing and corrected labels and stars.

#9 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well, the description specifies Adobe eBook format; and I've seen pdf's with full-size and high quality pages of this online at various sources. So I'm assuming (yeah I know) that this is a pdf release. Maybe someone who knows better can enlighten us, or correct me here.

#10 Rolex2

Rolex2

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:11 PM

I just ordered the Cambridge book from amazon unused. It has shipped.
If anyone ever needs astronomy books, you should check out
ABE.com. I buy most of my books from ABE.

#11 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

I'll second that about Abe books. That's who I got my Rukl atlas from several years back, and for the very reasonable price of $42. And it's even better shape than they described it.

#12 JEH

JEH

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:35 PM

I just received an email from customer service at Cambridge Press saying that the 2009 Cambridge Double Star Atlas is officially out of print but that a new edition will come out in 2015 and the price has not been set. I am still hopeful that Amazon with come through with the copy that I ordered back in September for about $35. I am not ready to buy a copy at a vastly marked up price.

#13 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:15 PM

I picked up my copy from my local dealer, skies unlimited, a few months ago. There were 2 more copies in the rack. Just checked their website (www.skiesunlimited.net) and they list it as being in stock.

#14 JEH

JEH

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

I ordered a copy today from skiesunlimited.net. I have tried two other sources with horrible luck. One copy is looping through my post office at weekly intervals, like a short period comet, because it reportedly has a bad address. The post office admitted that everything is automated so it could continue the loop until a human intercepts it and removes the old bar code or provides a better delivery address. Crazy!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics