• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Asterous

Asterous

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

I wanted to share a very good Light Pollution map (used by the Clear Sky Chart, and made by David Lorenz) which covers the whole globe. It uses an expanded colour scale and data from 2006, so it should be more accurate than the old World Atlas of the Artificial Night Sky Brightness.

Here is the website
It even has a Google Maps view!

Additionally, the key (from the Clear Sky Chart) with approximate Bortle Scale classes can be found here.

#2 lamplight

lamplight

Vanguard

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

thanks!

#3 Illinois

Illinois

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 06:30 AM

Welcome to CN! Nice and details map! Thanks!

#4 vkhastro1

vkhastro1

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

I live in Vankleek Hill, Ontario. I was just comparing the expanded colour scale maps from DarkSiteFinder.com (2001 data) and the updated maps (2006 data) in the area between Ottawa, Ontario
and Montreal, Quebec.
The dark green colour areas have completely disappeared and light green colour areas have almost completely disappeared (maybe 3% by area left).
If this is accurate, then the night sky is being overwhelmed by light pollution as our urban areas swell and engulf our rural areas. That 5 year comparison
shows this expansion is growing at an alarming rate - a very sorry state indeed!!

#5 DaveL

DaveL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

No, the new 2006 satellite data is more sensitive to dim light sources than previous data. Almost all the differences you're seeing are NOT actual changes in light pollution. See the bottom of my web site:

https://mywebspace.w...tronomy/lp2006/

BTW, I think the 2006 data seems closer to the original 1996/1997 data because of canceling errors in the 1996/1997 data: the 1996/1997 is less sensitive to dim light sources (makes things seem darker) but contaminated by snow cover (makes things seem brighter).

-Dave

#6 penguinx64

penguinx64

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Holland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:40 PM

Wow, maybe I should move to Mongolia with my telescope!

#7 George N

George N

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

It's nice and dark in North Korea..... :)

#8 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

It's nice and dark in North Korea..... :)

Well, dark anyway. :)

#9 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

My wife, not a serious astronomer but very much a lover of a good dark star-filled sky, had the opportunity to spend a couple of nights in the Mongolian desert a few years ago and told me that she wouldn't let me go because she was pretty sure I'd never come back.

I'm sure come winter I would look for an exit but I can see her point.

#10 jeffpkamp

jeffpkamp

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:48 PM

Dave, I'm curious about the central part of russia around noyabrsk, I can't imagine that those gas fields are more lit up than central moscow. I see the same thing on your 2001 data. Just seems odd to me :). Maybe they have spot lights at these sites that they just point at the satalite as it flies by...

#11 DaveL

DaveL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

The light is from gas flaring which pretty much shines in all directions so I think this effect is real. Newer 2012 data shows that the heart of the Bakken formation (NW North Dakota) is now a red and orange zone. I haven't made the 2012 results public because they're contaminated by aurora and the "background" has not been removed, but in the cities and gas flaring regions the artificial effect dominates so this isn't an issue here. The heart of the Bakken light pollution area is a little south of a point between Williston and Minot, ND (say along the Missouri river or something). If someone here is in that area (especially with a Sky Quality Meter (SQM)) then we could confirm if this is real or not.

-Dave

#12 jeffpkamp

jeffpkamp

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have a cousin in law that works in the natural gas fields in ND, maybe I'll see if I can get him to check him out, just seems like that is a lot of light for gas flaring... but the sats don't lie.

#13 backwoody

backwoody

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Idaho USA

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Asterous, thank you for a great post! Clear dark skies,

#14 careysub

careysub

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Dave, I'm curious about the central part of russia around noyabrsk, I can't imagine that those gas fields are more lit up than central moscow. I see the same thing on your 2001 data. Just seems odd to me :). Maybe they have spot lights at these sites that they just point at the satalite as it flies by...

Oh yes. The effect is real.

Unrestricted natural gas flaring from an major field is an enormous light output.The flares are tall, unobstructed and radiate in all directions. In a sense they *do* have spot lights pointed at the satellites, they are the unobstructed gas flares.

I toured the Sinai Peninsula in 1976, over all a very dark sky. But in southern Sinai the light pollution from Egyptian gas flaring near Ras Muhammad was impressive.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics