• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Oh, another crazy idea I have is to try the OTA on the parallelogram I built for the 10 lb binos. I can move them anywhere, and any direction with one finger, and they just hang where ever I let go of them.

Tom, I've done this with my C6 and a UA T-mount parallelogram mount. It wasn't well balanced (the attachment point wasn't in the perfect position) but it does work, sort of. It was however a bit too bouncy for my liking for anything more than the lowest power wider field work, something that isn't as much of a problem at the lower 25x with the binoculars.

I think the fluid head will be a better choice for anything but the very lowest magnifications on the C6.

A slightly angled (or perhaps even straight up) simple wooden alt az style mount(using dob style bearings) would likely work very well with the C6. It's certainly small enough for a table top mount. You'll just have to be a bit careful of the tipping potential. The idea I like is to tip the az axis over in order to approximate your latitude to create equatorial motions. Sort of a mini fork mount like what Celestron offered years ago with the C5 as a table top setup.

#27 tomcat141

tomcat141

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE Ohio

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Oh, another crazy idea I have is to try the OTA on the parallelogram I built for the 10 lb binos. I can move them anywhere, and any direction with one finger, and they just hang where ever I let go of them.

Tom, I've done this with my C6 and a UA T-mount parallelogram mount. It wasn't well balanced (the attachment point wasn't in the perfect position) but it does work, sort of. It was however a bit too bouncy for my liking for anything more than the lowest power wider field work, something that isn't as much of a problem at the lower 25x with the binoculars.

I think the fluid head will be a better choice for anything but the very lowest magnifications on the C6.

A slightly angled (or perhaps even straight up) simple wooden alt az style mount(using dob style bearings) would likely work very well with the C6. It's certainly small enough for a table top mount. You'll just have to be a bit careful of the tipping potential. The idea I like is to tip the az axis over in order to approximate your latitude to create equatorial motions. Sort of a mini fork mount like what Celestron offered years ago with the C5 as a table top setup.

Thanks Mark. I love to tinker, so will probably try more than one option. I was really impressed with the parallelogram mount and the binos, but I can see it might be shakey with higher power. I am doing some searching and trying to formulate ideas for the dob style mount primarily so I can use the degree circles.

Thanks for the input.

#28 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

The stock diagonal is "okay". I would not, however, make replacing the diagonal a top priority if I was budgeting. Like all SCTs, dew control is essential. You can go passive in the form of a dew shade, which buys you a little time before the corrector dews up, or active in the form of a dew heater strip and a dew heater controller and suitably large battery to battery to power it, or combine the passive and active (best) and observe dew free pretty much year-round.

Personally I think going 2" on a C6 is a waste of time. It has a straw-diameter central baffle and very little real estate on the rear cell. A 2" diagonal crowds the focuser knob.

I dislike straight through finders of any kind, whether RDFs or magnified. I strongly prefer a right angle correct image magnified finder. To add one to the C6 you'll need to but a finder shoe that fits the C6 and a finder. I like the Orion 6x30 RACI on the C6 as it's light weight and has a large 7-degree field of view. The bigger 8x50 and 9x50 finders work, but are awfully large in proportion to the size of the OTA. They also have smaller fields of view than the 6x30.

Regards,

Jim

+1 on all that Jim.

Frankly I can't see needlessly bashing the stock diagonal . A lot of folks have but it actually fares quite well next to my TV. Its not quite as good but its still quite functional.

Pete

#29 tomcat141

tomcat141

Ranger 4

Posted 02 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

Thanks Pete. Happy to hear that.

#30 doug mc

doug mc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:31 PM

Regards the finder situation, i use a right angle 8x50 with a laser pointer . Just send up the beam to the place you want and hey presto its there in your finder. Also attached to the back of the dovetail i made a rightangle bracket to screw on a handle i had from an angle grinder. Sitting down behind my c6 i can easilly point and view with ease. Wonderfull scopes these cats.

Attached Files

#31 tomcat141

tomcat141

Ranger 4

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Regards the finder situation, i use a right angle 8x50 with a laser pointer . Just send up the beam to the place you want and hey presto its there in your finder. Also attached to the back of the dovetail i made a rightangle bracket to screw on a handle i had from an angle grinder. Sitting down behind my c6 i can easilly point and view with ease. Wonderfull scopes these cats.

Looks like a nice setup. I like your handle idea. My fluid head also has a nice handle to guide my scope.

I just received my C6 today and it looks great. Of course the clouds came with it. I have mounted it on my Paragon Plus tripod with a Bogen fluid head. I think I can easily add a setting circle for azmuith and attach my digital level for alt. If this proves to be stable enough, I may not even try building a tabletop dob mount.

I love the looks of the C6. Looking through it in the backyard, I was very impressed with how sharp the images were. The 25mm which was included seemed fairly nice, and my ES 82's will work, although they are pretty wide for this scope. The field stops are not sharp I think due to the AFOV. They will be alright, I think.

Even with my ES 82* 6.7mm, I could easily bring things into sharp focus. I will get some pics posted tomorrow, I promise.

#32 doug mc

doug mc

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tamborine Mountain Australia

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Sitting down on an adjustable stool behind this scope is the most comfortable set up for me. I have an eq newt and a dob mount for it, but still point and shoot with the laser, then look in the right angle finder then the eyepiece is enjoyable viewing. The c6 is a terrific scope, you will enjoy it.

#33 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:49 AM

I like my 1.25 prism diagonal, I have a 189$ 2" mirror that I compared it to and could see no difference, and I currently have it attached to the back of a 60mm refractor and it gets a lot of use, theres just something neat about a prism, and it matches well with the scope your getting it with, and I even use it with the C11 it came with, prisms have a special quality that I just love, but just haven't nailed it down as to what it is yet.

#34 tomcat141

tomcat141

Ranger 4

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

Sitting down on an adjustable stool behind this scope is the most comfortable set up for me. I have an eq newt and a dob mount for it, but still point and shoot with the laser, then look in the right angle finder then the eyepiece is enjoyable viewing. The c6 is a terrific scope, you will enjoy it.

The convenience of sitting more in one place is one of my reasons for buying the C6. I still like my dob, but I was constantly having to adjust the height or move the stool, stand up or otherwise move something everytime I pointed the dob differently. Getting very lazy in my old age. :grin:

#35 tomcat141

tomcat141

Ranger 4

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I like my 1.25 prism diagonal, I have a 189$ 2" mirror that I compared it to and could see no difference, and I currently have it attached to the back of a 60mm refractor and it gets a lot of use, theres just something neat about a prism, and it matches well with the scope your getting it with, and I even use it with the C11 it came with, prisms have a special quality that I just love, but just haven't nailed it down as to what it is yet.

So far, I'm very impressed with what I have seen of the C6. I don't know that I will have to replace anything, but I am sure I will still want to buy something, LOL :grin:.

#36 tomcat141

tomcat141

Ranger 4

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

As promised, here are some photos of the new arrival. :grin:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#37 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Very nice Tom! I'm sure you'll enjoy the views. The C6 is a fine little instrument.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics