CGE Pro is on sale

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BWAZ

BWAZ

Apollo

• Loc: CA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

As well as CGEM and CGEM DX, just look around. I had a Pro and liked it a lot except the sheer weight ;)

Does the sale mean something new is coming?

#2 DaveJ

DaveJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

As well as CGEM and CGEM DX, just look around. I had a Pro and liked it a lot except the sheer weight ;)

Does the sale mean something new is coming?

An example from Astronomics...

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Wow!!! That is an amazing deal!

#4 fetoma

fetoma

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern NJ

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:01 PM

Do you think they are trying to get rid of them for something new along the lines of the EQ-8?

#5 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

That is really tempting. Now if I can get the CFO to go for it.

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

GGGRRRRRRRR I just bought the CGEM too :tonofbricks: and could have saved $300, Kasey

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

Kasey, maybe look at it like by buying early you've got $300 of experience?

Yeah I know, that doesn't help much ... :lol: ... I'm trying.

$3500 for a CGEPro is indeed a great deal ... that's only $500 more than what the original CGE sold for. That price point does seem to be more aggressive than Celestron's usual yearly sale prices.

#8 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Kasey, too bad you pulled the trigger so fast! This kind of pre-Xmas discounting does indeed suggest a new VX type technology or EQ8 type mount is coming. Also CES is I think early January this year?!? so I suppose they must be telling dealers to clear inventory for the new products.

Still, for those of us with existing CGEMs or CGEPros we have tested products with the bugs mostly well known... I just hope they have better luck with quality control with this new product release than they've had with the StarSense!!

Al

P.S. I would expect whatever new mount combinations are released that new mounts will come with the StarSense included or built in. With StarLock -Meade raised the bar and Celestron will match the offering

#9 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 01 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

If someone is in the market, that is a very good deal! Free shipping to boot.

David

#10 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

$3500 for a CGEPro is indeed a great deal ... that's only $500 more than what the original CGE sold for. That price point does seem to be more aggressive than Celestron's usual yearly sale prices.

That price must be for the mount without the tripod. Astronomics has messed up their ad. Check the Celestron site for their specials.

CGE Pro with mount: was $5,000, now $4,000 (20% off)
CGE Pro w/o mount: was $4,500, now $3,500 (22% off)

http://www.celestron...y/specials.html

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Steve, That does seem to make more sense. At $4000 it would however still be a great deal.

#12 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

Kasey, too bad you pulled the trigger so fast! This kind of pre-Xmas discounting does indeed suggest a new VX type technology or EQ8 type mount is coming. Also CES is I think early January this year?!? so I suppose they must be telling dealers to clear inventory for the new products.

Still, for those of us with existing CGEMs or CGEPros we have tested products with the bugs mostly well known... I just hope they have better luck with quality control with this new product release than they've had with the StarSense!!

Al

P.S. I would expect whatever new mount combinations are released that new mounts will come with the StarSense included or built in. With StarLock -Meade raised the bar and Celestron will match the offering

I did notice when the LX850 came Celestron did drop their prices.

Now with Meade in it for the long haul, and the LX850 proving to be an excellent mount it is putting more pressure on Celestron in this mount category.

FYI - StarSense simply does not compete with StarLock. I StarLock has worked fantastic out the gate - no fuss, no muss. And StarLock does significantly more than StarSense. Still, Celestron needs to do something.

Hey, what is it with the "Star…" naming convention? ;)

In the end competition is good for all of us! It will hopefully drive quality, price and performance in a positive manner.

We all win! Merry Christmas and all that now and in the future!

#13 wz2

wz2

Most Boring Astronomer...

• -----

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Astronomics needs to revise their ad then. The description states "heavy-duty adjustable height stainless steel tripod" as if it's included. Based on the current wording if someone orders the unit and it shows up sans tripod they will likely be pretty PO'd.

Chris

#14 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Never one to really look back and live in regret, I knew the price they wanted and paid it.. Seller and buyer are happy with deal done. I hope to try some guiding next time out to test it, I am pretty happy with the unguided I got from it the first time out,,, now if weather and time would just get it together,,, There were a couple in here that were asking about mounts, I hope they see the ads,, Kasey

#15 freestar8n

freestar8n

Soyuz

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

FYI - StarSense simply does not compete with StarLock. I StarLock has worked fantastic out the gate - no fuss, no muss. And StarLock does significantly more than StarSense.

I have yet to see an lx850 starlock guided image that comes close to what has been achieved with a cge-pro and OAG. StarSense and starlock are very different technologies with different goals - so there is no reason for them to "compete" - and it is incorrect to say one does more than the other. StarSense is not intended for guiding because OAG is preferred for guiding sct's. With starlock you are "locked" into guiding with a little guidescope - which is prone to flexure within the SCT. StarSense involves an actual plate solve of multiple stars in the image, whereas starlock just sees a single, known star. By that measure, StarSense is more advanced.

Although you tout the success of the lx850, I have yet to see a long exposure image from your setup that has small (arc-sec fwhm) and round stars. Even images taken by supposedly skilled people with the lx850 required post-processing to round the stars - which is not surprising due to flexure. That may be fine for video sessions - but it is a big problem for long exposure astrophotography.

I'm glad you're happy with your lx850 and it meets your needs - but for others who are aiming for small, round stars in long exposures, your comments and comparisons are off the mark.

I don't know how things will evolve over the next years, but for optics I expect to see more field flattened systems, and for pointing and alignment I expect to see more systems that plate solve. Both technologies are already available - but not in the lx850/ACF.

Frank

#16 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

Deleted by the moderator

#17 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Deleted by the moderator

#18 gillmj24

gillmj24

Aurora

• Loc: PA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Deleted by the moderator

#19 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:57 AM

Deleted by the moderator

#20 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:00 AM

Deleted by the moderator

#21 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

I really have to wonder about the wisdom of posting comments about the 850 and Starlock in a thread about the sale price of the CGEPro. That to me just smacks of trolling.

No, if I wanted to troll I would have hit the right hot buttons. Then again, just saying Meade is a hot button and gets some folks in a tizzy.

My point was the minute the LX850 was released the CGEPro went on sale. And as sales are jumping for the LX850, the price of the CGEPro went down. This is a good thing, don't you think?

I know some folks would prefer Meade disappeared, and Celestron had no competition. Still, I think competition is good for all of us. That was my point.

Plus with competition we see competition on price and/or value. I am very cool with that.

#22 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: North of Hwy. 64

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:17 AM

Post deleted by herrointment

#23 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:21 AM

How about the sanity clause?

Wasn't that a movie? With sequels?

BTW, is this sale an Astronomics thing or a Celestron/Nationwide thing?

#24 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

My point was the minute the LX850 was released the CGEPro went on sale. And as sales are jumping for the LX850, the price of the CGEPro went down. This is a good thing, don't you think?

I know some folks would prefer Meade disappeared, and Celestron had no competition. Still, I think competition is good for all of us. That was my point.

Plus with competition we see competition on price and/or value. I am very cool with that.

My limited research does not at all see LX850s flying off the shelves or sales jumping. Do you have sources? I personally think there is something along the lines of the EQ8 coming driving the price down and the CGEpro sold for $3500 at NEAF one year long before the LX850 was ever heard about. The one thing we can agree on is that competition is good for the consumer, and we both hope Meade continues to produce for a long time to come.

#25 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:00 PM

Or it may be that rumor that Ioptron is unveiling a heavy mount,,,, saw that on one of these threads,(top secret),,,, or could be because they saw I just bought a mount and dropped prices to get to me :roflmao: There is one consistancy, competition is good, Kasey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics