Cat's Paw

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:45 PM

One early morning with exceptional seeing made this lunar sketch, one of three I have attempted. It was pretty amazing, really, trying to capture the albedo features.

150MCT at about 320x.

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Here's the second sketch attempted. It's Plato albedo at full moon. Pretty nice view.

Just ran across both of these and decided to post them. I was studying albedo and found it an interesting aspect of lunar observation.

Attached Files

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 01 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

Okay, for completeness, here's attempt number one. It's the lunar limb, not sure of the area, exactly. I just found seeing the 'foothills' on the limb a beautiful sight.

Attached Files

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

Norme these are great sketches . Much as I love The Paw and Plato I find your sketch of the lunar limb foothills really compelling. Its always challenging to see these kind I things and the reality is its the only way we earthbound observers can view the SIDE of a mountain on the moon. Bravo on this sketch - the notations as well.

I've got to add this to the calendar I compiling!

Great work - makes me want to survey the limb again.

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yea, Pete, Jef did a limb sketch and reminded me of this one. I tell ya, observing one foot hill descending in front of another was absolutely stunning. Almost 3D. It was like sitting on the front porch and looking at the Blue Ridge mountains. The limb is as interesting as the terminator sometimes.

The albedo sketches resulted from checking contrast after removing my secondary baffle. And the Paw, of course, inspired by you was just putting on a show that night. The other two craters are Aldrin (bottom, I think) and Collins (would be at top.)

Anyway, that limb sketch shows just how difficult lunar sketching is. It's best left to the professionals. :)

#6 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:21 PM

Oh ok I'm getting the orientation. I was wondering which was wich. All great stuff.

Pete

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Went back to that spot on the moon later and could not find the twin peaks. I guess libration took them over the horizon. Cool.

#8 kenrenard

kenrenard

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dunmore, PA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

Great group of sketches nice work.

Ken

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Norme,

Very nice sketching but be careful, you are going to get hooked and you'll begin missing Jupiter, Saturn and Mars opportunities. ~~~~ alright, alright just kidding.
The Moon is a great target for sketching practice when looking for a challenge.

Frank :)

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Frank, I'm leaving the moon to the professionals. :)

Thank you, Ken. Again, these sketches came about as a result of albedo and contrast study, not out of any innate talent.

#11 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:15 AM

I agree with the others, Norme. I especially enjoy seeing the "at-the-eyepiece" pencil drawing. It's always terrific to have some insight into the minds of other observers.

#12 Knuklhdastrnmr

Knuklhdastrnmr

Fumble feet

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Beerpuddle, Colorado

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Wow, when I saw the title I thought I was going to see a deep space object. I didn't know there was a feature on the Moon called Cat's Paw. Thanks for showing it to me.

It is a nice sketch.

#13 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

Aw, Norme, why did you have to go and do this? Now I'm going to have to make a moon sketch :)

Of the three, I find the third most interesting. I like the way you've done the depth of the scene toward the horizon.

:grin:

-stray-

#14 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

Jason, welcome back. How's your build coming along? I'm looking forward to a flurry of sketches this dry season - in about a month or so. But, yea, as Stray mentioned, the depth of sloping terrain was just so impressive and beautiful on that night. Never been much of a lunar observer, so I had never seen such things and wanted to capture the wonder of the limb...which is quite nice in itself.

Knucklehead, yea, Cat's Paw is very near the Apollo 11 landing site, hence the two prominent craters (right) Collins (top) and Aldrin (bottom) in the sketch. Armstrong is out of the sketch (toward the top.) The Paw is the rather shallow (lower contrast floor), wider crater above the two elongated ones...one of which is Sabine C (right, I believe.) So, we're in the vicinity of Sabine. It's pretty smallish at 1.6 miles across. It took exceptional seeing in a 6" aperture. Pete inspired a look at this one.

http://www.cloudynig...4426421/page...

#15 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:30 PM

Another moonsketcher :yay:
I like the third sketch most!

#16 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:12 PM

No, no, no...or maybe. Lunar sketching is difficult, best left to the professionals. In that line sketch, you can see how many times I tried to get one crater right. Plus, you gotta learn all their names. :jawdrop:

#17 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

Norme you re too hard in yourself - the sketch is fine and the digital art is great. Id like to see you sketch the Hadley Rille - its visible in your Mak and Ive seen it with the C6 or parts if it at higher illuminations. The guys actually drive right up to its edge and looked down into it. Under lighting like the pic below I too saw the sunlit side as well as the shadow side like a thin thread with my 8". I'm very confident you could see the same 3D effect and not merely a dark line.

Pete

Attached Files

#18 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Norme,

Nice sketches :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom