SW 100: Will I notice Difference?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76 BillP

BillP

Voyager 1

• Loc: Vienna, VA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Oh, and if I win more than $100 million, you'll have to tell me what you all want yours mounted on. :lol:

As long as we are dreaming, I'd probably opt for the current gen Super Half Hitch with tracking and all the other options and Super Tripod. :bigshock:

#77 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:14 PM

Oh, and if I win more than $100 million, you'll have to tell me what you all want yours mounted on. :lol:

As long as we are dreaming, I'd probably opt for the current gen Super Half Hitch with tracking and all the other options and Super Tripod. :bigshock:

Sweeeeet! :waytogo:

Clear Skies,
Brian

#78 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:57 PM

Same goes for you Mike. If I win the Lotto, so do you. TSA-120s all around. :lol:

- Jim

Dangerous words my friend! :lol:
You can give mine to someone else. I am fine in that range.
I do have dibs on your SV80S LOMO though... ;)

#79 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

LOL!

Tell you what Scott. If I end up biting on one of the made-to-order custom jobby SV80S LOMOs that Stellarvue is offering, I'll make you a deal on the old one that you simply can't refuse. I fixed it up. The dew shade is solid. The bent set screw has been replaced, and Starlight provided a free replacement knob due to the UV damage on the original. I did the best I could on the differentially fading paint on the tube and dew shade (likely because the saggy dew shade stayed retracted covering the tube). I used premium German acrylic polish with a high carnuba wax over it. It still has a few little love dents, though.

But the glass and focuser work well.

- Jim

#80 jag767

jag767

Viking 1

• Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

See, with all this good Karma and collective psychic support, how can I miss? I think I'll start buying up multi-state Powerball tickets.

- Jim

Thanks Oprah :grin:

#81 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

LOL!

Tell you what Scott. If I end up biting on one of the made-to-order custom jobby SV80S LOMOs that Stellarvue is offering, I'll make you a deal on the old one that you simply can't refuse. I fixed it up. The dew shade is solid. The bent set screw has been replaced, and Starlight provided a free replacement knob due to the UV damage on the original. I did the best I could on the differentially fading paint on the tube and dew shade (likely because the saggy dew shade stayed retracted covering the tube). I used premium German acrylic polish with a high carnuba wax over it. It still has a few little love dents, though.

But the glass and focuser work well.

- Jim

Thanks sir! :grin:

#82 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

And as we consider veering back to the original topic. Thank you, all!

#83 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Back on topic. Sorry about that.

While not the specific scopes mentioned by the OP, this report pits an 80mm achromat vs. an 80mm ED scope side by side. Same manufacturer and a minus violet filter was used on the achromat to sharpen the view.

Not 100 - 102mm but equal size and achromat vs. ED. I thought it might aid in this discussion...

http://www.cloudynig...hp?item_id=1804

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics