• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Murphy

Doug Murphy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Leesburg, VA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Hi all, I am new to CPC SCT, having used Dob reflectors forever. Want to do Mallincam video with CPC in AltAz mode and I think the Celestron's mechanics will do a good job and give reliable go-to. I have 2 quick questions:

After hitting Enter to go-to, is there an emergency stop procedure? Cords were wrapping around the base and I only knew how to hit the off switch and begin again.

When I enter to initiate a go-to, the scope will sometimes take the long way around to the object, as much as 270 degrees. Any way to control the slew direction once it has started going the wrong way? Is this a cord wrap issue?

How long does it take the GPS to enter the correct time on the CPC? I have done 3-star StarAlign, and objects are not in the eyepiece.

Thanks everyone! Regards, Doug Murphy

#2 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:47 PM

Doug-

1. Runaway Slew - hit any ARROW KEY it will stop the scope.
2. Check your cordwrap settings this is usually the reason for the 270 degree rotation
3. GPS can be finicky. Try this:

a) In the daytime, unplug you Hand Controller from the base and turn on the power. Leave it powered on for 6-24 hrs (great cloudy day thing to do). This recharges the GPS batteries.

b) When you are planning on observing a given evening, set up your scope and hour or more before sunset and with the Hand Control plugged in turn it on and let it sit there for 30 minutes. Sometimes it needs a long time to download the epherimides from the satellites.

c) If all else fails and the Hand Control keeps saying "Waiting for GPS" then there is something wrong and its better to just go into Scope Setup and make sure your location and the time is correct.

d) Make sure you have the correct time selected "DAYLIGHT SAVINGS" or Standard... this can mess things up.

-- Try all this stuff & check out the Private message i sent on star alignment selection.

Cheers

Al

#3 Doug Murphy

Doug Murphy

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Leesburg, VA

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

Great tips, Al, thanks! Doug

#4 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I'm a type "A" person so I honestly run my scopes with the cord wrap function OFF...(its ON by default) so I do not have to put up with the long way around slews
BUT I also learned that you can speed up a slew by hitting TWO direction buttons at the same time and hold them down..when you release one the slew slows donw to the rate you were using....

My GPS connects in a few seconds and its inside my Domed observatory... .

Bob G

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics