CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggestion for binocular object to sketch?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kimbo_2112

Kimbo_2112

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Weatherford, Texas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

I just posted a sketch of M50 (at the scope). I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good binocular object to try? I have Oberwerk 15x60s. :question:

#2 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

If you're located in the South there are a lot of nice targets in Sagittarius worth sketching, such as M22. Another one that may not be as easy as it seems would be Albireo.

Ed D

#3 Kimbo_2112

Kimbo_2112

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Weatherford, Texas

Posted 02 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

I'm not quite as far south as you are, but you are right about Sagittarius having some worthy contenders. What I have wanted to do for a while is M7, but I fear I've waited to late in the season for it. Albireo seems like a nice challenge. One last comment/question; do you have any suggestions on how to sketch diffraction spikes?

#4 maroubra_boy

maroubra_boy

Vendor - Gondwana Telescopes

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:10 AM

You might like to try these targets with your binos:

* M42 & surrounds

* Galaxy M31 - sensational in binos

* Galaxy M33 - tougher than M31, so will test your observation skills

* if you are under southern skies & feeling mad, you can try the LMC! That sucker will put hair on your chest for sure.

* Any part of the Milky Way. It contains so many dark nebulae visible in binos it will astound.

The way I do diffraction spikes is I place the pencil tip on the star & dova little flick out from it. I then repeat this another three times to get the four spikes.

#5 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Vanguard

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Rosette Nebula, all three Messier clusters in Auriga are pretty visible, I found them one night when I used to have a pair of 10x50s. The Rosette nebula is visible as a compressed cluster of stars, but appears nebulous because its of unresolved stars.

#6 JakeSaloranta

JakeSaloranta

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Finlandia

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

The Double cluster and M44 are beautiful binocular targets.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics