• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OC Telescope

OC Telescope

Vendor (OC Telescope)

• -----

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Hello,

At the urging of several members of this wonderful forum, I am very happy to introduce to you my very own astronomy shop in Southern California known as Orange County Telescope.

Some of you may have known me from OPT, where I was the GM for over 16 years where I met so many of my astro friends who became much more than customers over the years (then decades!). I hope you are all well and thriving in your passion of astronomy. To those of you who may not know me, I wish you astronomical adventures galore!

Before my Astronomy days I was raised by a Dad who had a Phd in Math from Caltech, who spent 20 years with IBM and a Mom that was a College Professor, so it's genetic when I start to get excited about showing us how this Equation or Theory is exactly the answer to what we are talking about! Then 4 years in the Marine Corps working on Optical Tracking and 4th echelon repair of specialized night vision tracking for large threat removal ;-) That was fun and explains some of the hearing loss today. (That's what I tell the fiancee at least!!)

I was hired away from Oceanside Photo & Telescope where I had an opportunity to help grow Meade Instruments for just over a year, then my good friend at Vixen Optics made me an offer I could not refuse where I helped Vixen grow their brand across the USA and Canada, where I met many old friends face to face for the first time and made even more new friends. This is where I had a chance to visit every astronomy store in North America several times over!

Now I have opened my very own real live store just 5 minutes south of Disneyland across the 5 freeway from the Discovery Science Center where we amaze people almost every sunny day with views of our Sun. I get to help so many choose a telescope or find the right solution for imaging and enjoy helping others expand their Universe. Honest to goodness it's the best job in the world. I just flat out love showing and helping people make the right astronomical decisions. Then show them all the options modern amateur astronomy has in store for them today.

We are under construction on our website, we carry Meade, Celestron, Vixen, Televue, Orion, Explore Scientific, Baader JMI and More! Don't hesitate to CALL us anytime! We have a selection of new and used items and hope we can help make the right decision based on decades of practical experience and customer feedback, coupled with a belief that the customer should get a good deal. Our store slogan is "Where YOU are the center of the Universe". I am very happy that many of my past customers know that I will not just sell you something, we try to make sure it fits your expectations and will work with your setup. We will tell you we would wait because of a newer or rival product coming out soon if we know about it. Basically we promise to spend your money as if it were our own, if we don't like a product we will just tell you, and if you still want to buy it then we will sell it to you! And above all - This is supposed to be fun! - If you ever, ever, ever, ever buy something from Orange County Telescope and you are not having fun with it, it's broken, it's scratched, it's got smoke pouring out of it because it's on fire. We hope you would contact us first, we will help you get back to as much fun as possible as quickly as possible.

Wherever you go to shop, observe or image I want to personally wish you clear skies and superb transparency. That you would break out that old telescope sitting in the closet and find M1 or if you have done that 10,000 times try NGC 1514, and if you have done that then try finding someone else to show it to and if you have done that, then my hat is off to you my fellow Learn'd Astronomer, however I can help you I will.

Thank you!
Mike Fowler
Orange County Telescope
2220 North Main St.
Santa Ana Ca 92706
888-471-9991 (toll free)
760-529-1414 (call or text)
ocTelescope@gmail.com
www.ocTelescope.com

Attached Files

#2 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Aurora

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Mike for the nice customer service too buying my Meade Dialectric yesterday. Nice shop. Small, but packed with equipment. Hope the business stays going strong. We definitely welcome a local store around here too.

:cool:

#3 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

+1

With Scope City gone, it was either a drive to Woodland Hills or to Oceanside.

I was lucky I was PMed about your store so I could get the right adapter to mount an AT8IN to a CGEM. It's good people will know your there now.

#4 psandelle

psandelle

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:21 AM

Good luck on the store, and I'll drop by in the future some time, when I can get off my lazy butt. Otherwise, it's to the website I go (when it's up and running).

Paul

#5 Relativist

Relativist

Skylab

• Loc: OC, CA, USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

Mike, suggest posting parking instructions. My first visit I had to circle and guess.

Thanks with help with the adapter, got my AT8IN mounted on my CGEM finally. Now to take it apart and put it outside lol. <heavy>!! :tonofbricks:

#6 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Aurora

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Haha, yes, parking is available via the small alley left of the store as it is pictured in this thread and has spaces clearly marked Customer Parking. Do not park on the street. No room to park, but it is the only alley close to the shop and fairly easy to find if you know beforehand to look for it.

I think I need to go back and pick up that little 76mm Cometron. Cool little scope for low power widescan.

#7 OC Telescope

OC Telescope

Vendor (OC Telescope)

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

Your welcome Curtis!

I used the Cometron 76 the other night on the Moon, great bright, crisp image.

I made a video a while back on getting here from the 5 South - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_EZchoZIg2Y

#8 thesungazer

thesungazer

Sungazer

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Best of luck with the new endeavor, Mike! For those of you that don't know Mike, he's a stand up guy and an asset to the hobby.

Greg

#9 David Castillo

David Castillo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Carmel Valley, Ca

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:22 PM

May good fortune smile brightly on you and your business, Mike. You were a great help to me while at OPT and I do appreciate it!
-----
Dave

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics