First light, Lunt 60

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

After a couple months wait, my new Lunt 60 arrived earlier this week and the weekend ended up clear, though with awful seeing (judged by evening observing.)

I got to watch a nice little eruption Sunday morning and did some imaging Saturday. Here's a full disk and closeup. Overall, I'm blown away by how nice the scope is. I think I have a little more learning to do with the pressure tuner - it almost seems eyepiece dependent and maybe a little temperature dependent? But I'll get it worked out. It certainly feels a great deal more substantial than the PST and the views are much nicer. So, I'm happy with the upgrade.

http://astrob.in/62658/0/

http://astrob.in/62607/0/

#2 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Great new toy sir , have my eye on on too but it'll be a bit of a wait ...

#3 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Congrats Paul, and nice images!

#4 raylal

raylal

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cornwall, Ont., Canada

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:28 PM

Beautiful images, what a great start Paul. Lovely toy you got there.

Ray

#5 JoseBorrero

JoseBorrero

Gemini

• Loc: Puerto Rico Island

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

very good! :waytogo: congrats!

#6 sullij1

sullij1

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:31 PM

U R barking with the big dogs now. Enjoy the views. ;)

#7 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:20 AM

Thanks, all. I was lucky with the weekend. The clouds must have finally noticed the new scope because they have clamped down hard.

#8 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:23 AM

Congrats on the new Lunt. They are fantastic scopes and mine has provided many hours of enjoyment for the short time I've owned it.

#9 snommisbor

snommisbor

Viking 1

• Loc: Cedar Park, TX

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:15 AM

Congrats, those are some nice shots. I am so close to getting a 60 as well, but I need to wait.

#10 federico bonino

federico bonino

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

Excellents images Paul !! Congratulations.
I Have a similar pst, but Double stack and I not have pressure tunning.
Do you think that there are a big differences between the pressure Tunning and the old fashion?.
How do you do to take this beautifull views of the flares at the disk line?
Thanks!
Federico

#11 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:29 AM

Thanks again, all.

@Federico, I have only had the PT out twice. As I've not had a tilt tuned Lunt, it's hard to say what improvement the PT offers compared to just the improvement of going from 40mm to 60mm and getting a much nicer focuser. But the view in the Lunt is as close to sweet spot free as I can imagine. The PT also seems to allow much finer control of tuning - to the point that I often can't really tell if I've nailed it or not. All around, it just is easier, smoother and gives a better image than in the PST. But hard to say compared to other Lunt 60s.

As to the prominences showing up, I image with the 16 bit selection. I think with my camera this is only really 11 or 12 bits but it allows me to select the disk, process there, then invert the selection in photoshop and stretch the image so that the proms show up. If you look close, the prominences are a good bit nosier than the disk and it is this stretching that causes that.

So, to summarize: 1) acquire image in 16-bit; 2) align and stack as usual; 3) sharpen if desired (I do); 4) open in photoshop and go to "select", choose "color range", select the black around the sun. If you play with it, you'll get it such that the disk, or the black around the disk is fully selected. I usually feather the selection a bit, then process the disk and black separately.

Hope that is clear.

@Jim, indeed. I bought the PST for the transit figuring to sell it soon after. Ha! (see what I did there?). Solar viewing in h-alpha is incredible. Given local conditions, I'm not sure I wouldn't unload a DSO scope before the h-alpha. Okay, that's crazy talk, but you get the idea. I certainly log more time with the solar scope than the nighttime scopes, just due to timing and light pollution.

#12 federico bonino

federico bonino

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Argentina

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

OK Mr Paul Thanks very mucho by your quickly answer is really clear!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics