Baader film AND glass filter

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

If one already owns a Baader film solar filter, would there be any point in also acquiring a glass filter, like the Thousand Oaks? Clearly most everyone prefers the film, but is there anything that can be seen better in glass?

#2 Old Dinosaur

Old Dinosaur

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Down there on the river

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

Baader film beats any glass filter made except The Zeiss.
But check out the price of one of those!

#3 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Baader wins every which way ... ;)

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

I have to agree. I used a glass filter on and off for years, and after breaking my glass filter, went to Astrozap Baader.

I was not really prepared for the difference in capability, but the Baader is very clearly better.

I don't see what value you would get from the glass filter.

#5 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

The only satisafactory use for the commercial glass filters (except Zeiss) is to take a hammer to the glass element & use the cell to mount Baader solar film. The "cheap" glass filters really are that bad ... they're more fragile than the Baader film too.

#6 Old Dinosaur

Old Dinosaur

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Down there on the river

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

:lol: Yes, done that.

#7 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

To rephrase the question: is there ANY white light filter that offers a view that is different in some way from the Baader film? I guess colored filters may be the closest thing for now.

#8 BYoesle

BYoesle

Aurora

• Loc: Goldendale, Washington USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:37 PM

If one already owns a Baader film solar filter, would there be any point in also acquiring a glass filter, like the Thousand Oaks? Clearly most everyone prefers the film, but is there anything that can be seen better in glass?

No.

...is there ANY white light filter that offers a view that is different in some way from the Baader film? I guess colored filters may be the closest thing for now.

Yes. Even the Zeiss (and Questar) provide a falsely yellow/orange image, that some feel is more "natural." I don't prefer this, and it you prefer this "shade" use a colored filter with the Baader film. Even the Zeiss and Questar filters will eventually develop pin-holes and reduced contrast. When the Baader film deteriorates, it is easily and cheaply replaced.

The white light filter that is superior to the Baader film is the glass prism of the Herschel wedge solar filter. The advantage of the Herschel wedge over the film and any other glass filter is that there are no metallic coatings to deteriorate and scatter light. It should only be used with refractors. It too offers a completely neutral authentic white light view, which can be further filtered as needed. It can even be used for narrow band filters such CaK emission filters.

#9 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

The only satisafactory use for the commercial glass filters (except Zeiss) is to take a hammer to the glass element & use the cell to mount Baader solar film. The "cheap" glass filters really are that bad ... they're more fragile than the Baader film too.

I'll second that. The cells are wonderful for mounting the Baader film.

#10 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

I don't know how some of these Co.'s stay in business with the low quality glass filters they sell, maybe some people get lucky and get a good one. I think the look of glass gives a lot of class to the telescope, but you "look through it not at it", as Roger Tuthill said about his Solar Skreen around 1979. And that is true today with Baader filters. Some people don't like the wrinkles. Many years ago I went through one polyester,and three 6" glass filters from Thousand Oaks and none were any good. When I called about the three glass solar filters, I was told the problem was my telescope. Within the last 6 years I got a glass one from Orion,I guess I'll never learn. The weather was such that I couldn't tell if it was good or bad, Well it was bad . The Orion glass filter sat around for around 5 years before I made an adapter to use on my C5,(yes I have a C5 with very good optics,) That made all the difference in the world going from 6" to 5" It works pretty well, still not as good as my very old solar Skreen that I use on my Quantum 6. But Christmas is coming and I'll get a new Baader.

Attached Files

#11 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:42 PM

A blast form the past Solar Skreen.

Attached Files

#12 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Q6,Solar SKreen and another Orion glass solar filter on Edmund 60mm

Attached Files

#13 A6Q6

A6Q6

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Seeing not too good that day, still showing more than glass, my trusty old Solar Skreen on Q6

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics