• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aatt

aatt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:55 PM

I have been trying to ID members of this cluster for a week or so on and off. My skies are orange with the transparency not being wonderful on any of those nights. I have a 15" dob and the only thing I have bagged for sure is probably 708-which is more of a aggregate than a single target. I think I need to spend more time with the Triatlas charts as using them in the field is kinda of a pain with glasses for reading them and none for observing.I am wondering if these targets are achievable with my equipment and light pollution levels.I feel like my galaxy observing skills are not bad, but maybe this is a whole new level as I have been content nailing Messiers and the 12.5 mag or less NGC's. Thoughts as to attainability of these cluster members or tips for getting there?I am nothing if not persistent, although it is frustrating.

#2 Matt Lindsey

Matt Lindsey

Messenger

• Loc: Baltimore, MD, U.S.A.

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

I just viewed this cluster Sunday night with my 12" Dob from a dark yellow site, SQM 20.9 under excellent transparency. The whole group had a hazy appearance under 150x, similar to Stephan's quintet. In addition to NGC 708, at least two other galaxies were clearly visible, with more coming into view with higher power. Nice group that I learned about from Karl Krasley's Galaxy Log video series.

#3 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

I have been trying to ID members of this cluster for a week or so on and off. My skies are orange with the transparency not being wonderful on any of those nights. I have a 15" dob and the only thing I have bagged for sure is probably 708-which is more of a aggregate than a single target. I think I need to spend more time with the Triatlas charts as using them in the field is kinda of a pain with glasses for reading them and none for observing.I am wondering if these targets are achievable with my equipment and light pollution levels.I feel like my galaxy observing skills are not bad, but maybe this is a whole new level as I have been content nailing Messiers and the 12.5 mag or less NGC's. Thoughts as to attainability of these cluster members or tips for getting there?I am nothing if not persistent, although it is frustrating.

The galaxies in this cluster are quite small and more difficult than their magnitudes would suggest. That having been said, I can see the five central galaxies (NGC's 703, 708, 705 and 704) in my 10 inch f/5.6 Newtonian from my dark sky site with little trouble, although none are bright. The central five are quite resolvable at over 100x (more so than Stephan's Quintet), and NGC 710, NGC 709, NGC 714, and NGC 717 are tiny but also in the immediate area (15' arc radius) of the central group. The others are rather spread out over a rather large area, so you kind of have to hunt them down one at a time. I usually start at the group of stars at the south edge of the large open star cluster NGC 752 and work south-southwest from there.

#4 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

Good to see that Matt.

Here's the link to the video in which we go through the cluster (identify each galaxy) using 12.5" and 25" dobs from perhaps the best dark observing site in the east. http://www.youtube.c...h?v=qmf_ITlQFd0

This is a personal favorite of mine in the 22" dob.

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...r/GalaxyLog4565
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#5 aatt

aatt

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

I have been using the cluster and those bright stars right at its edge as a jumping off point. The field stars in the TRIatlas charts are tough to see in the dark and then sort out in real time.I am probably seeing some of the members, but seeing has been bad and all the faint stars are looking a little fuzzy-never a good thing.

#6 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the heads up - Megastar shows it's a huge cluster :ooo: - I'll give the core a shot when next clear !

#7 galaxyman

galaxyman

Vendor - Have a Stellar Birthday

• Vendors
  • Loc: Limerick, Pa

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

I have been using the cluster and those bright stars right at its edge as a jumping off point. The field stars in the TRIatlas charts are tough to see in the dark and then sort out in real time.I am probably seeing some of the members, but seeing has been bad and all the faint stars are looking a little fuzzy-never a good thing.

What magnifications are you using?

In the video with the 12.5" dob I'm using 277x to 324x, and the 25" dob 374x to almost 600x

Karl
E.O.H.

Chesmont Astronomical Society - www.chesmontastro.org
Galaxy Log - http://www.youtube.c...r/GalaxyLog4565
Galaxy Log Blog - http://galaxylog.blogspot.com/
HASB - http://www.haveastellarbirthday.com
Telekit (Swayze optics) 22" F/4.5 Dob
Homemade (Parks Optics) 12.5" F/4.8 Dob
TMB/APM 8" f/9 Refractor”The Beast”. One great DEEP SKY achro
ES 6" f/6.5 achro. Good one
Celestron Omni XLT 102 refractor.
Celestron 10x60mm Binos

#8 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:39 PM

Got a pic tonight and will post tomorrow - rich gxy field :grin:

#9 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Here is a drawing I did a number of years ago of the central region of Abell 262 in my 10 inch f/5.6 Newtonian:

Attached Files

#10 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

Hi AATT - got the pic [below] I promised from last night with AGC 262 nearly overhead. Here's colour version of crop; full frame and annotated from Megastar+Sloan DSS. Hope it's of interest :grin:

Attached Files

#11 aatt

aatt

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:42 PM

I was out at my dark site last night. Man it was cold, windy and seeing was abysmal.My gallon of drinking water froze pretty fast. Thanks for posting the pics-they helped me realize that last night I got the two brightest for sure and I think a third. My magnification has been probably too low I was using an ES 11 82 deg, which in my scope is about x173. I guess I should have been using the 6.7 (x284) probably not getting good enough separation of the members.Still threshold observations.Going to keep at this one for a bit.

#12 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:27 AM

I was out at my dark site last night. Man it was cold, windy and seeing was abysmal.My gallon of drinking water froze pretty fast. Thanks for posting the pics-they helped me realize that last night I got the two brightest for sure and I think a third. My magnification has been probably too low I was using an ES 11 82 deg, which in my scope is about x173. I guess I should have been using the 6.7 (x284) probably not getting good enough separation of the members.Still threshold observations.Going to keep at this one for a bit.

Keep us posted on your quest. At my age I'd never cope with that cold - hence my snug if LP backyard tiny dome :p

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics