• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Nov 05 2013

I had been meaning to move my mount back a few feet so that I would get a few more minutes of Sun as it travels lower in the sky each day. Dang, I just missed the onset of the X3 by not doing it as the Sun had just dropped below the roof line of my house. After three minutes I decided to move my mount then even though I would lose polar alignment so I was able to catch the flare four minutes after its impulsive fast peak. If there was a Moreton wave I missed it.

The lesson is that the most dynamic flares happen impulsively and most of the interesting action happens within the first few minutes of the first blast. Like a white light flare for example.

Anyway, I was alerted to this flare by the radio burst and the blackout portion of the spectrograph which indicates a sudden ionospheric disturbance in process caused by a large flare.

The radio blast was very strong.

It flared in the eastern area where the magnetic delta is. I hope the delta did not blow out and that there will be further strong flaring from this sunspot group.

Clear skies,
Thomas in New Mexico

Attached Files

#2 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Here is the flare a few minutes after the peak when it was already receding back into itself.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics