CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Missed onset of X3 due to procrastination

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Nov 05 2013

I had been meaning to move my mount back a few feet so that I would get a few more minutes of Sun as it travels lower in the sky each day. Dang, I just missed the onset of the X3 by not doing it as the Sun had just dropped below the roof line of my house. After three minutes I decided to move my mount then even though I would lose polar alignment so I was able to catch the flare four minutes after its impulsive fast peak. If there was a Moreton wave I missed it.

The lesson is that the most dynamic flares happen impulsively and most of the interesting action happens within the first few minutes of the first blast. Like a white light flare for example.

Anyway, I was alerted to this flare by the radio burst and the blackout portion of the spectrograph which indicates a sudden ionospheric disturbance in process caused by a large flare.

The radio blast was very strong.

It flared in the eastern area where the magnetic delta is. I hope the delta did not blow out and that there will be further strong flaring from this sunspot group.

Clear skies,
Thomas in New Mexico

Attached Files

#2 Thomas Ashcraft

Thomas Ashcraft

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Here is the flare a few minutes after the peak when it was already receding back into itself.

Attached Files

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics