40 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on how good the optics really are on this scope? The "description" and "data" for this scope make it appear to be quite good.

It's the one that's on sale now for $649.00.

Also, does the focuser have a "compression" ring to hold the diagonal or just the simple one thumbscrew affair?

I'm assumming the diagonal has compression rings. (still on the lookout for a descent 4in)

Thank you. :)

#2 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

AWESOME. You could not be unhappy. I observed three comets yesterday morning and it delivered again. The contrast is awesome. The sharpness is awesome. It often seems like a bigger scope, though it's true I have very dark skies. Jupiter is actually worth looking at in this 4" scope. Saturn looks nice but is a bit dim at high powers. The Sun looks great with a filter. The Milky Way star clouds will blow your mind. I especially like M24 and the area around it, the Swan and so forth. Pinpoint stars, just beautiful. It is a fantastic scope!

I won't comment on your mechanical questions as they may have changed it since I got mine, though it looks exactly the same. I did have a focuser that was useless when I got it, but I took the panel off the bottom and messed around and it has worked great since then. The dual speed feature is very nice.

I am surprised they call it an apochromat. Perhaps it is so, as I have seen almost no false color. The diagonal shown is the one mine has and it is good. The case is fairly nice, too.

The scope is slightly heavier than a CH102 I had before on the same mount, despite the SW being shorter.

The fact you can get it for $649 is some kind of miracle.

Glen

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

I owned what I think is the same scope optically, the Vixen 100EDsf.

Was a superb performer.

#4 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

My SW ED100 came with a screw type back. I replaced it with THIS
Works beautifully.

The 2 inch diagonal uses a compression ring.

There are lots of happy owners of the SW 100 ED. :)

#5 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

It's a terrific scope, the optics are extremely good. Razor sharp with essentially no "in focus" color, it also cools down very quickly. Bundled with all the nice accessories Skywatcher packs with it, the SW100ED Pro is an absolute steal at $649...highly recommended :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian

#6 KevH

KevH

Ranger 4

• Loc: Maine

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:26 AM

I owned the Vixen version of this scope and agree with what everyone else has said. Optics were quite good and I found it to be a great all around scope. Visually no in focus color that I could see.

#7 Ed Whitney

Ed Whitney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Palm Coast, Florida

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Thank you all for the replies! It does sound like a "keeper" of a scope!

And Linda B., thank you for the link to the focuser adaptor ring upgrade part. I DO appreciate this! :)

I was hoping to find a 4in scope that can still be used as a "grab n' go", but not be too long or big.

This one does look terrific! :)

#8 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Does anyone know how long this scope is? Does it have a retractable dew shield? With an element of FPL-53 glass, it should put up some excellent views. I see that Takahashi has a new 100 mm fluorite doublet that costs about 4X as much as the Skywatcher 100.

Bill

#9 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

The dew shield is very solid and does not retract. The scope is not particularly short. I don't know the measurement but it is only a few inches shorter than a standard CH102HD achro. I consider it very portable but not as much as those whoppingly short apos you see from Japan. GW

#10 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

I should point out, the SW is longer but it does not require that you mortgage your house to get good eyepieces. None of the eyepieces I use cost more than $80. I have a 2" 32mm Meade Super Plossl and a 38mm Chinese 70 degree I got from University. Those are my favorites in this scope. I observe planets with orthos and Kellners (gasp!)

This has become my most used scope in recent months. In another thread, I detailed how it ruined me on my bigger, less precise scopes.

http://www.cloudynig...d=refractors...

I got mine for less than $500, new! I could hardly believe it, and nearly didn't buy it because I could remember when a scope like this was a $3,000 item and there were no used ones available for much less. I felt this scope could not be any good. I was so wrong.

GW

#11 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks, Glen. I would think that this OTA is probably near 40" long given the fixed dew shield, it's longer focal length and f ratio.

Bill

#12 carlcat

carlcat

Messenger

• Loc: Northern California

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

I used to own the C102 fluorite in the 90's and to my memory the SW100 ED that I now own is every bit as good visually plus it has a dual focuser. I paired it with a CG-4 mount with dual axis drives. I mostly observe from my light polluted back yard so all I need is my televue 3-6 zoom for moon and planets and I'm good to good. It's a light set up so I consider it grab and go for me. Just keep in mind it will do what you'd expect from an excellent 4" doublet but it's still a 4" doublet.

#13 jag767

jag767

Viking 1

• Loc: Massapequa, NY

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

I should point out, the SW is longer but it does not require that you mortgage your house to get good eyepieces. None of the eyepieces I use cost more than $80. I have a 2" 32mm Meade Super Plossl and a 38mm Chinese 70 degree I got from University. Those are my favorites in this scope. I observe planets with orthos and Kellners (gasp!)

This has become my most used scope in recent months. In another thread, I detailed how it ruined me on my bigger, less precise scopes.

http://www.cloudynig...d=refractors...

I got mine for less than $500, new! I could hardly believe it, and nearly didn't buy it because I could remember when a scope like this was a $3,000 item and there were no used ones available for much less. I felt this scope could not be any good. I was so wrong.

GW

+1 On not needing expensive EP's, I have the orion ed100 (close enough) that I picked up for a great price. My meade 5k 32mm plossl is great with it, as is my 42mm gso superview. I just started getting some of the explore scientific 82* line and havent tried them in it yet, but I expect them to be excellent, as the 18mm in my f/6 65mm is fantastic.

#14 Pat at home

Pat at home

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have an earlier 'gold' version ED100Pro with the single speed focuser, I'll sell any other of my scopes before I let this one go. My daughter first saw Saturn through it when she was 6 and now 6 years later she still insists on this scope when Saturn and her are up at the same time. I have some other scopes but that one is a bit special for us.

#15 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

Does anyone know how long this scope is? Does it have a retractable dew shield? With an element of FPL-53 glass, it should put up some excellent views. I see that Takahashi has a new 100 mm fluorite doublet that costs about 4X as much as the Skywatcher 100.

Bill

I had a Tak TSA-102 which I compared side by side with a SW 100 ED, and to be honest I didn't think that
there was much difference in the eyepiece view. The optics in the SW are excellent. True the Tak gave a perfect
star test in/out of focus, however in focus, there was not much difference between the two.

#16 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:40 PM

I owned the Vixen version of this scope, and perhaps it has changed since then, but while the dew shield did not retract, it did in fact come off.

It was a very tight fit, and it took some wiggling to get it off the first time, but after that, it was not to bad at all.

But perhaps they have changed it and it does not come off now.

Looks about the same in the pictures as the one I owned though.

Again, I can't know for sure, but I would not dismiss the likelihood that it is the same scope, and that the lens shade is just on very tight. Again, first time I took mine off, I had to really work it. Was not glued though. Just stuck on tight.

#17 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors
  • Loc: California

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

The ProED 100 is 36" long and weighs about 10 pounds. The optics consist of two elements. The front element is Schott BK-7 and the rear element is FPL-53 ED glass. The dew shield removable by unthreading it from the lens cell.

#18 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for the information. Seems like one of the best buys in amateur astronomy now.

Bill

#19 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

The ProED 100 is 36" long and weighs about 10 pounds. The optics consist of two elements. The front element is Schott BK-7 and the rear element is FPL-53 ED glass. The dew shield removable by unthreading it from the lens cell.

Also is it f/9 or f/11? The specs say f/11.25?

#20 Glen A W

Glen A W

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Not sure where you got that, mine's an f/9 for sure. GW

#21 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

"Telescope Focal Ratio f/11.25"

Copy and paste from a website. Perhaps a typo?

#22 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:19 PM

Not really sure where you guys got an f/11.25 ratio. Our website clearly states it as f/9 in the specs.

#23 Jarrod

Jarrod

Apollo

• Loc: SE USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Not really sure where you guys got an f/11.25 ratio. Our website clearly states it as f/9 in the specs.

OPT has it listed incorrectly on the specs tab as f/11.25

http://www.optcorp.c...-telescope.html

#24 boandpokey

boandpokey

Ranger 4

• Loc: Auburndale, Fl

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

I have one

I love it but have only had it dark since I get it here in cloudy florida/ I plan to get up at 2 am tmmrw and try for the comets.. Ison and Lovejoy. I should see lovejoy no prob. Ison may be too low

#25 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

Ah, I will have to contact them.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics