Why this is a stupid hobby.

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 Usquebae

Usquebae

Mariner 2

• Loc: 43 N, 73 W

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

Well! My old Hobby was going over 200 MPH on a Motorcycles , How stupid was that? :looney:

200 mph will get you to a dark site pretty quickly. Don't forget to wear your red goggles.

#27 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Page ,AZ

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

:evillaugh:

Well! My old Hobby was going over 200 MPH on a Motorcycles , How stupid was that? :looney:

200 mph will get you to a dark site pretty quickly. Don't forget to wear your red goggles.

But Ive been a good Boy :evillaugh:

#28 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Every time the weather takes a turn for the worse, it's a painful experience for my wallet. I take out my frustrations buying new equipment which only makes matters worse!

Picking up tomorrow morning a 4" Mak to use on the moon and picking up next week a 6" SCT. And just placed an order for stuff from OPT.

Where in the name of the Lords of Observing am I going to hide the scopes to keep the wife from finding out (but I am buying her a new camera so I think I will get away with it)?

And when is the weather going to cooperate for me to use these scopes?

#29 bangbangexplode

bangbangexplode

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

If one's only contact with astronomy is through eyepiece time, then yeah, the weather can be a source of vexation. But the *hobby* of astronomy is not limited to a clear sky.

This is a good point. Bad weather can mean a great opportunity to learn more about the hobby.

#30 Kon Dealer

Kon Dealer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cambridge UK

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:24 PM

As my wife keeps telling me- I now have two weather-controlled hobbies.
1) A 50 year-old car I won't take out in the rain- or if it looks like rain.
2) Telescopes thatI won't take out in the rain- or if it looks like rain.

#31 PeterR280

PeterR280

Apollo

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

Somebidy should design a waterproof telescope so you can observe in the rain.

#32 herrointment

herrointment

Aurora

• Loc: East of Poskin

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:23 PM

I spent the last two hours building a prototype of a CPC 1100 mover....and it works great! No more carrying the beast that 170+ feet to my spot. In fact, the scope is sitting in its spot right now. I'm typing here because as soon as I got set up and aligned it clouded over within 5 minutes.

I did have other things to do but it was a beautiful clear sky prior to my decision to try and look through the scope.

The hobby isn't stupid. I am.

#33 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Somebidy should design a waterproof telescope so you can observe in the rain.

Well Explore Scientific Eyepieces of Waterproof :lol:

#34 buddyjesus

buddyjesus

Vanguard

• Loc: Davison, Michigan

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

I picked up ukulele for those cloudy nights and for daytime. I am less frustrated with bad weather stretches now.

#35 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

The title is somewhat in jest of course. After about two years of inactivity I suddenly developed an interest in observing again and the rekindling of interest came with a long string of clear, moonless and low humidity nights that further spiked the interest.

So I then went out and bought some stuff to further enjoy the hobby and have suffered from nothing but overcast skies since. The latest cruel thing is the crystal clear all day only for a wall of clouds to roll in at darkness and destroy the whole night ordeal. This particular cruel event has occurred for three nights straight.

Tell me again why I got back into this, seems as frustrating as golf when you think about it.

YOu must b close to ma as that's exactly what's happened the last few days.. Clear all day , cloudy at night. So annoying :tonofbricks:

#36 Darenwh

Darenwh

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Covington, GA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

I gave up on the Motorcycle after getting hit from behind, knocked out, and waking up to the glorious people of Georgia just driving around me and the bike like I was trash in the road. (Can you tell I don't like Georgia, and I have had the bruises, scars, and broken bones to justify it!) As for 50 on a Canondale, it's possible on a steep downhill as I got pulled over on my Trek when I was in Hawaii by an MP on the Kole-Kole pass road for speeding when I was doing 45 down it. He had to race to catch up with me and he actually gave me a ticket for doing 45 in a 25. I had to appear before my commander, who was a mountain biker and, after having the MP leave, he laughed and told me not to worry about it. Oh, one more thing about living in GA. Most summers have been hazy, this one has been cloudy and rainy all year, but at least the last few weeks have had decent skies...

#37 ensign

ensign

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

We are a ship of fools. But, nothing in my 70 years of living has come close to the joy of looking up at a night sky, and seeing the objects revealed as only a telescope can.

:ubetcha:

But I must admit to being an opportunist in my choice of hobbies. Living in San Diego, I naturally gravitated towards activities well suited for this fine city.. Skiing, ice fishing, watching professional football and baseball, the opportunities are limited. Surfing, hiking, birdwatching, cycling 365 days a year, these are more doable.

Jon

I feel your pain. :smirk:

I visited your fine city a couple of years ago in November on business. Fine, warm, sunny weather all week. I had reserved one day as a free day and brought my travel scope with me so I could do a little observing that evening.

On my free day - torrential rain, palm tree parts littering the streets. Cloud.

:tonofbricks:

Here, in Southern Ontario, we had a cloud-free, moon-free evening a couple of nights ago. Normally, I dress properly for cold weather, however on this evening, I underestimated how cold it would be and nearly froze important body parts off.

Gonna retire the scopes till spring.

#38 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Every night there is cloudy weather is another reason to work on building or upgrading your gear.

Yes. That way you end up with a much higher quality rig to not be able to use. :p

#39 TMK

TMK

Soyuz

• Loc: A Cloudy Place

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Despite rain all day long a cold front came through this evening and like in the forecast the skies cleared up and the stars came out. I put the scope out and after an hour I went outside to view. The skies had clouded over and I found myself scrambling to get everything out from raindrops not on the radar.

It's been cloudy out since and I realize it's time to find something else to do until my next string of clear moonless nights, looking at my forecast and the moon cycle it may be awhile. It's not like my other hobby, fishing.

#40 TMK

TMK

Soyuz

• Loc: A Cloudy Place

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

Every night there is cloudy weather is another reason to work on building or upgrading your gear.

Yes. That way you end up with a much higher quality rig to not be able to use. :p

:applause:

#41 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

We have had clouds along with rain or snow for the past month.

#42 Megabusa

Megabusa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

I gave up on the Motorcycle after getting hit from behind, knocked out, and waking up to the glorious people of Georgia just driving around me and the bike like I was trash in the road. (Can you tell I don't like Georgia,

That's sad just to leave you there like that, Did the people that hit you from behind try to help ? This P's me off just hearing this , What a disregard for Life , :mad: FWIW I never liked GA either . :vomit:

#43 RussL

RussL

Music Maker

• Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:07 AM

As to this being a stupid hobby, it does probably seem odd to others that we will drive a hundred miles to sit out in the cold or heat trying to see things so dim that we can only see them if we don't really look at them (averted vision).

Or maybe they saw me out one night wearing sun glasses (for observing the moon). Or...

"Oh, honey, I didn't pay the light bill so I could buy this new eyepiece." I mean, the darker the better, huh?

#44 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Maybe if we passed a bill making it illegal to use public funds for lighting.........

#45 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Maybe if we passed a bill making it illegal to use public funds for lighting.........

... or a photon tax.

#46 T1R2

T1R2

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: NeverWhere, 35*N

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:49 AM

cause the girl across the way thinks I'm lookin in her windows, yea right..lol, although I was looking at Venus.

#47 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: GMT+9

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

Yep, another fool right here, too. It can be an expensive hobby. The observing part of it is highly weather dependent. When I get a chance to observe, it steals my precious few sleeping hours.

But, when it all comes together: weather, schedule, gear, motivation ….. I am treated to views like those which first captured my fascination and made this my primary pastime.

I heard Neil Degrasse Tyson say something like “when all you see are the things that are immediately surrounding you, they rise to an artificial level of importance in your life.” Observing stretches my vision. It connects me with things are outside of my daily grind experience. And, at the same time, it also helps me to appreciate them even more.

And, I’ll gladly take only a few nights here and there as long as I can have that.

#48 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:15 AM

Because "Even a light polluted sky is better than what's on television."

Nice :)

#49 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:10 AM

We are a ship of fools. But, nothing in my 70 years of living has come close to the joy of looking up at a night sky, and seeing the objects revealed as only a telescope can.

Oh, I can think of a few things :grin:

But I get where you're coming from, or else I wouldn't gladly own all these expensive eyepieces that are good only as paperweights on cloudy nights, a contraption that looks like a water heater that doesn't heat anything, and a handsome looking spyglass my wife won't even let me leave set up in the living room as a sculptural ornament.

#50 Thomas Karpf

Thomas Karpf

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newington, CT

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Consider taking up solar astronomy.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics