Observing again:)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:49 AM

Well, it been two weeks now that I broke my leg and have not been able to observe:( I am more or less house bound for a while and have to take it easy and be careful with every thing I do.

This week I was finally able to see some of my old friends. I was able to get my PST in the hallway and look at the Sun when it was setting in front of my house. Then I was able to see Venus in a small scope and see that it is half moon now and sure is bright! I can't believe how far south it has moved in the past month! Looking forward to seeing the moon and Venus pairing this week.

Next, I was able to set up my 80ED in my kitchen and peer out my back patio door at the eastern sky. Turned off the lights in the house and checked out Cassiopeia , Perseus area. Really nice to see the clusters in that area, double, ET and a few others. Also later came a nice view of the Pleiades and was able to frame the whole cluster in the EP!

As the weather gets colder, it will limit my observing time as I have to have the door wide open to get clear views, but since it gets dark earlier, I can look for a while before the heat kicks on.

All and all, nice to be able to see SOMTHING again! Two more weeks in the cast and then I can move out to the patio:)

Bob

#2 labmand

labmand

Messenger

• Loc: Michigan USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Bob,
Happy to hear things are getting better for you, Hope
your under the stars soon.
Take care

#3 Binojunky

Binojunky

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

Broke my ankle a few years back, the secret it to not rush things, it takes longer to heal if you rush things also age enters into the equation, a drop of good Scotch will help deaden any discomfort :)I wish you a speedy recovery, DA.

#4 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:59 AM

Ouch! My sympathy as a broken leg is little fun.

#5 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:07 PM

Glad that you are getting up and about.

#6 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

Bob.

I'm glad you have seen some marvels of the sky. Sad to hear you have broken your leg. How did you do that ?

Andre.

#7 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Here's hoping you heal quick! I recommend that you use your binoculars too during this time for the easiest, hassle-free observing. You would make Glenn LeDrew and Tony Flanders proud.

#8 lcaldero

lcaldero

Mariner 2

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

You certainly aren't letting a broken leg keep you from observing! Good for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery and clear skies.

Laura

#9 lamplight

lamplight

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western MA, U.S.

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Bob I hope it heals up fast!

#10 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Thanks all....yes doing the bino's for sure! I have been watching Venus from my front door and had a nice view of it and the moon last night. I can see the main stars in Sagittarius with Venus in the spout. I have a tree in my front yard that really needs some serious trimming!

Last night was clear ans mild and I was able to keep the patio door open for an hour to observe the eastern sky. I have a fair amount of LP in that direction, but it gets better 30* above the horizon. The Double Star Cluster really looked great at 40x in my 80ED. After about 9pm, Auriga rises smack dead ahead of me in the east and later on this month should be great for those bright open clusters there :jump:

Bob

#11 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

Sorry about the broken leg, Bob. Sounds horrible. Look on the bright side--you can pretend to be Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window, but with a telescope rather than binoculars. Is Raymond Burr still around?

#12 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:37 PM

Bummer about the leg, I hope you're up and around soon.

I have to confess I'm not familiar with the ET cluster (NGC457). I'll have to check that out, thanks!

David

#13 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

LOL....yeah I have thought about that movie with Jimmy Stewart as I sit in my front door with my little Solar Telescope in the afternoon looking in between the trees and neighbors houses across the street. People driving by must have some strange looks on their faces as to what that wierd guy is doing with the telescope?? Later after sunset I get mt little 90mm Mak on a tripod and check out Venus and the Moon this week. Very nice views of them right now.

After dinner about 8pm I have some nice views of the eastern sky with all the nice star rich areas and clusters. Auriga rises smack dead center over my horizon and love the M36,37,38 in my 80ED. In two weeks I get my cast off and then can bring out one of my larger scopes out on the patio as long as I have some help from my nextdoor neighbor and be very careful. I love this time of year for observing as there are so many nice targets out.

David, punch in the NGC457 in that 8SE and you will love it! You should have a "tours" mode in that scope and try using the search by constellation and enter DSO'S when you get to Cassiopeia....lot's of them there.

Clear skies!

Bob

#14 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:11 PM

Looking out my kitchen door at M31 and pretty nice in the 80mm! Not bad for a cripple:)

Great skies in the fall and can't wait to see it again in my 10" DOB when I get the cast off in two weeks!

#15 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:10 PM

Tonight I spent an hour on M31 (binos and 4"), my brain afire with the notion that I am hurling toward it at incredible speed. As I increased the mags, it was like flying closer.... But I digress...

You're doing great, hang in there. :D

#16 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

I hope your leg heals quickly and cleanly and that everything works out. I admire your dedication to observing.

#17 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

The perverse silver lining is that at least you broke a bone rather than tore a critical ligament. Bones heal and rehab much easier (usually). As others have advised, don't rush it; a little slower is a more reliable path to faster healing than a little too fast, too soon, which can easily turn into the slower overall path to recovery.

#18 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:31 AM

Doing ok so far and going into week 3. Last night I had my small little Celestron Cometron 80mm out the front door looking at the Moon and Venus.

The Cometron is from the 80's and I forgot just how good that little scope is. It's only 400mm, but the glass is made by Vixen and only a little color. I had a Celestron 8-24mm zoom EP in it and the views of the crescent Moon where pretty darn good up to 50x as the seeing was great!

As they say, make lemons into lemonade ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics