The 31st Annual Deep South Regional StarGaze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

• Loc: New Orleans, LA

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

The Deep South Regional StarGaze is the oldest continuous star party in the southeastern United States. It started just one year after the Texas Star Party and a year or two before both Okie-Tex and the Winter Star Party. Always held in the fall near new moon in mid to late October or early November. Our current location, the Feliciana Retreat Center has both motel type rooms, cottage bunks and the ability to set up tents and/or have campers or rv's around the observing field. On good nights we have a limiting magnitude of 6.4 to 6.5 as verified with a Sky Quality Meter.

I am attaching some simple piggyback astrophotos from this past weekend. The first 3 were taken with an Olympus Zuiko 200 mm lens at f/4. Mated to a Canon 20D camera body via an adapter it does pretty well considering that it is not an apo and that these, with the exception of the North American Nebula image which is a 3 frame stack, are all single frame photos of just 3 to 4 minute duration.

Thanks for looking!

Barry Simon, Founder and Director
The Deep South Regional StarGaze

Attached Files

#2 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Here is another photo, one of the Veil, with the 200 mm telephoto.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#3 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:32 PM

Here is a single frame image of the North American, three frames stacked and a little color enhancement. The Canon 20D is not modified.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Last one, Orion rising above the trees to the east. This was taken with an Olympus Zuiko 24mm f/2.8 at f/4. It is a 30 second exposure. I used a Celestron CG4 mount, the drive was on but I did no guiding.

Barry Simon

Attached Files

#5 HoundDog

HoundDog

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:15 PM

Great photos! My in-law's live just down the road from the Feliciana Retreat Center which by the way, is a very nice place to hold this event.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics