Photo

relubing Dec worm gears on a CG5

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 calypsob

calypsob

Viking 1

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:19 PM

I don't really want to take apart my entire mount because I am turned off by the idea of adjusting my worm gear meshings. When I auto guide the RA axis stays well below the +1 and -1 limitations on my PHD graphs however the DEC always seems to wonder beyond +1 and -1, resulting in non rounded stars. I spend a good bit of time balancing and polar aligning and I have been thinking about putting a new layer of oil or grease on the DEC worm gear and the Geared axle that rotates on the DEC axis. Im not sure if anyone has tried this combination but I would like to put a mixture of Corrosion X Gun oil and WS2 powder on the gears to give them a long lasting super low friction coating. Im not sure if this will help with DEC guiding at all, but it has been a butter smooth combination on the bolt action of some of my hunting rifles. I have checked with corrosion x and WS2 and they say that their products are completely safe on aluminum and brass and are guaranteed not to damage or corrode or make brittle the components. Does anyone have some input on this procedure?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics