Collimating my cpc800

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce N

Bruce N

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

My (fairly) new cpc800 does not seem to be quite as sharp and clear as my smaller 127slt. Of course I bought the bigger scope for better views. Could this be a collimation issue? If so, where do I find instructions for collimating the cpc?

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

Here is a handy guide our own Rod Mollise created:

http://skywatch.brai...collimation.pdf

However, be careful. SCTs are pretty seeing sensitive and it may just be that you are seeing it in its natural state due to atmospheric factors. Check for concentric rings on both sides of focus on a fairly steady night (Polaris is good for this as it holds still) before you start tweaking what may not in fact need to be tweaked. If some adjustments are needed, make them very small. You don't want to be cranking those screws far at all.

#3 AhBok

AhBok

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Smaller apertures give prettier views of bright objects, except under good seeing conditions. Larger scopes also take longer to cool down. Excellent collimating will get the most out of your scope for details, but will not give prettier views unless the collimation is way off.

#4 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Collimation instructions are in the scope manual on page 42-43. It helps a great deal to have someone else adjust the secondary collimation screws while you watch the changes through the eyepiece.
CPC 8 Manual Download

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics