Custom Tube Rings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Markab

Markab

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City USA

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes custom tube rings? I'm getting an AP130 and need rings that are no more than 20mm wide (on each side) so that I can mount this atop a Gibraltar 5. I already tried AG Optical & Burgess Optical and they wouldn't do it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#2 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:59 AM

I am sure others will point you to scopestuff.com where I recently bought rings and dovetail bar for my ETX125 OTA.

Very high quality. And staff are very helpful. Ask for their recommendation.

#3 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Well, not exactly "Custom" but you can get a wide variety of rings from Scopestuff.

If you don't like the finish, you can always sand to smooth and repaint, and these will be very inexpensive, and thin.

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_rings.htm

These tend to be much thinner in profile than most rings included with the scopes these days.

Parallex Instruments used to have custom rings.

Also, Ken Dauzat used to make custom rings, but I can't seem to get his web page to work. But you should contact him.

http://www.williamop...6_KenDauzat.pdf

Maybe he is not in business anymore, but Ken could make you pretty much any ring you wanted.

These were not high precision CNC parts though. Tended to be Brake-Bent metal. Functional, but not particularly beautiful.

#4 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Great Basin

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:03 PM

I've successfully used the router mounted in a table to slightly enlarge the ID of thick-sectioned cast aluminum rings. You need to make a jig of the desired diameter and use a carbide flush-trim bit. Rough-cut close to the final line with a bandsaw. Go slow.

Likewise, I've made an MDF barrel sander of the right diameter and slightly enlarged the ID of thinner-section, Asian-made rings on the drill press. This method works best when you need to enlarge less than 1/16" from the radius.

Both of these methods assume that you can lay your hands on a set of aluminum rings that are only slightly undersized to begin with. Remember to figure-in your compressed felt liner thickness.

#5 AlBoning

AlBoning

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:33 PM

http://www.parallaxinstruments.com/

#6 mgwhittle

mgwhittle

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga, TN

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:24 AM

I believe these people can do the custom rings you want: http://telescopesupp...s.com/index.php

#7 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:56 PM

I purchased custom rings for my TEC 110FL from Telescope Support Systems (TSS). They are very well made machined rings with a very nice finish and they fit perfectly. Here's a pic (the top rings for the Pentax are from TSS stock rings).

Attached Files

#8 Markab

Markab

Mariner 2

• Loc: Kansas City USA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks guys for the recommendations. Parallax said it could be done, basically by grinding their 125mm rings down, which seems barbaric. I've got an email into TSS and hopefully they will be able to provide something more custom.

I haven't heard many people using the Gibraltar 5 for the AP130GT, but it seems like it would be a reasonable alt-az solution. It is plenty good for my Traveler, but of course that scope is a bit less in weight. I just don't like the options in other Alt-az mounts, either too expensive or too goofy looking! :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics