9 replies to this topic

#1 davesaunders

davesaunders

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

Hi,
I have tried for months now to connect my LX90 to PHD via ASCOM but so far it refuse's just get error message "no instance of meade ex" I can control scope through Meade Autostar via " connect scope via serial cable" so usb and rs232 cables work and I could guide scope manually but is there another way to guide scope that doesn't need ASCOM? as I think this is the problem. The LX90 doesn't have a ST4 port and 909 ports are discontinued so thats a problem.
Any ideas please would be appreciated.

Dave.

#2 Dwight J

Dwight J

Apollo

• Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

Hi Dave: you will need that 909 module to autoguide and. IIRC, it has to be guided using Meade's software Envisage in Autostar suite. That may limit you to using Meade cameras like the LPI or DSI's. There may be other guiding solutions that have evolved since the LX90 came out but I am unaware of them.

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:30 PM

If you use a 909 module to implement a guide port then it won't matter what camera or software is used for guiding; the mount doesn't know the source of AG port actuations (they are just switched inputs).

Serial guiding should work fine, though. Is it possible that you have the serial port tied up with the Meade software? It can only be used by one thing at a time. If you don't disconnect that software the port won't be available for PHD to use unless you add a virtual hub.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

You should be able to guide through the serial port using PHD or other guide programs and the correct ASCOM driver. You do NOT need Autostar Suite.

As for the 909 module, you neither need nor want it.

#5 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

This is what Uncle Rod is talking about:

Posted Image

I believe you would use the Meade LX200 Classic ASCOM driver. Then you have to select this driver in ASCOM. Be sure and set you serial port or adapter like this:
Baud Rate - 9600
Data Bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop Bit - 1
Flow Control - None

This is how I guide my Meade LXD55 mount.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

VERY NICELY DONE. Thanks. :cool:

#7 davesaunders

davesaunders

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your reply's,

My setup is exactly like the bottom image, just wondered if I'v downloaded all programs needed, this is a summery :-

PHD Guiding (windows) v1.14
ASCOM Platform 6SP3
Meade LX200 Classic and Autostar #494, #495, and #497 driver (combined telescope/focuser, 5.0.4)
Meade Autostar Suite V5.50

Have also checked there all working on same com port (comport4)

Just said about Autostar Suit to explain that I'm getting a connection via USB/RS232 adapter otherwise wouldn't be able to use autostar remote goto? so why is it not connecting to PHD via ASCOM ???

Dave.

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

Be sure you are connecting PHD through the ASCOM driver and not the non-existent ST-4 port. Also make sure you have got your serial cable, USB-serial adapter, and com port number ducks in a row.

#9 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

You don't need or use Autostar suite for guiding. The rest of it looks to be OK.

What kind of USB to Serial converter do you have? Most of the cheap ones don't work!

Try running the Autostar updater, press the "Connect" button and see if it can connect to your hand controller. This will eliminate the ASCOM software and Meade ASCOM driver. If it works, your problem is probably in the PHD or ASCOM configuration. If it doesn't work, then it's with the USB/Serial converter or cabling.

#10 davesaunders

davesaunders

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

This is the USB/RS232 adapter :-
http://www.easysync-...u-1001-r10.html

Haven't tested autostar updater yet (had bad experience with A/U,toasted my last h/controller) but the fact it works with autostar goto proves that it works?

Dave.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics