Photo

Your thoughts on a Light Mount for a Lunt 80 ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Full Sun

Full Sun

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:44 PM

I have used Alt-Az and EQ mounts for Solar Observing with my Lunt 80 DS in the past. The Half Hitch and Voyager Mounts were easy to use but I seemed to get more of a cerebral charge from mounting my scope in conjunction with my (previous) Takahashi EM 10 Mount. I felt prominences were easier to study.
I am now in the hunt for a Grab and Go lightweight EQ mount with full GoTo, or one axis tracking. I have yet to see that discussion here or have missed it. Convenience, weight and price are my main criteria for dedicated solar visual. I would appreciate any of your thoughts or experiences with any currently available mounts in the 400-800 hundred dollar range. :help:

#2 jerwin

jerwin

Viking 1

• Loc: Romeoville IL

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

hummm, I guess I consider my grab and go mount my vixen porta, but that's an alt-az.

I have a Celestron Advanced VX that I wouldn't quote consider grab and go, but I lug it to solar outreach once a month. It's 799 if i'm not mistaken. I put the mount head and counterweight in a pelican 1600 case with some hard foam. It takes me 2 trips from the car unless I bring my little cart. It's a nice mount but takes me maybe 20 minutes to setup, so not as quick as my porta II, but much less baby sitting.

Jim

#3 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:11 AM

I use a Celestron 6SE mount with some success and have it set up for remote operation. It's great as you can easily change optical tubes. Currently using an 80mm William Optics Zenithstar.

#4 Full Sun

Full Sun

Vostok 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Thanks JandJ
I have just recently been converted to the virtues of Celestron Mounts.After the all star polar alignment process (first attempt}they absolutely point with great accuracy and consequently get out of the way. However, mine is the heaviest one..... I purchased another mid payload mount alternative recently for dark sky excursions so 'methinks' the AVX is too redundant with my new mount; maybe I can get away with something lighter.... I was seriously looking at Orion, the smaller I-Optron or Vixen Mounts. The SE mount you suggest could possibly work for me.
John, can you just point it to the Sun and start tracking?
Is it's alt-az tracking movement fairly stable? I think my set up is 8-9 lbs. I will have a serious look at this, thanks.

#5 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

• Loc: beachwood ohio

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

i have used the ioptron minitower with good success

#6 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

The Celestron 6SE mount has a software "lock" whereby you can not use the sun for a single star alignment unless you first "unlock" it. It's a real simple procedure well covered in the instructions.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics