• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Watts

Chris Watts

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:07 PM

I have an old CG5 mount and controller. I recently purchased a new Celestron SE8 mount adn controller. It has better alignment features than the older CG5 controller. Are these interchangeable? it would appear to me they would be and I can use the new controller on theh CG5 to take advantage of the alignment options.

#2 jimbo728

jimbo728

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Central NH

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

If your old hand control has an input jack on the bottom, you may be able to upgrade using Celestrons firmware manager. CFM. It connects your hand controller and your mount to your pc with two wires.If compatable CFM will upgrade your hand controller to your mount.
Call Celestron customer service to confirm compatability first.
You need Java to download CFM. If you need to know what you need to connect to your pc, let me know.
Jim

#3 jimbo728

jimbo728

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:16 PM

Oh, and you cannot use your old hand controller successfully on your old mount if you upgrade using your new mount, but I may be wrong about that. You may be able to upgrade your CG-5 controller if upgrades are available.
The upgrades work with individual series models.
When using CFM, it walks you through the whole process easily.

#4 jimbo728

jimbo728

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:23 PM

Just one more thing, You get CFM online and you need Java to make it go. Its easier than it sounds.
Good Luck
Jim

#5 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

If your CG-5 has a Nexstar+ hand controller with version v.5.xx or higher you can use CFM to upgrade. I doubt that you have a Nexstar+ HC. Go into the main menu on the hand controller and find "Version" this will give you the version of the HC and MC firmware on your mount. You will need a version of v.4.xx or above for the HC to be upgradeable. You will then need a RS232 cable to connect to the bottom of the HC and an RS 232 to USB adapter w/driver to connect to your computer... here and here.

You will need to download the HCupdater and MCupdater programs from the Celestron site... here and here.

The CG-5 is a GEM mount and the SE is an ALT/AZ mount, so you will have to reprogram the HC for the mount you want to use it on. I have done this many times before with no problems.

Stan

#6 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

You will not find the same alignment procedures for the ALT/AZ SE as you have for the GEM CG-5.

#7 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

What Stan said.

If you do the firmware upgrade to the latest v4 or v5 level (which depending on which hand controller you have is 4 or 5.21.xxxx) for your CG-5 then also go and download the CGEPro manual and use the hand controller section, it will describe all the new functions and procedures.

If you want additional info on the firmware differences have a look at www.nexstarsite.com

#8 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Aurora

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Just for FYI...

Nexstar+ Hand Controller Manual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics