Flaring Object in Puppis

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:25 PM

The fact is that the nature of the sighting alone, if not an aircraft, dictates it had to be a satellite, as there is no other possible source.

This is an interesting assertion. "No other possible source"? You're sure? You can prove that?

#27 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

The fact is that the nature of the sighting alone, if not an aircraft, dictates it had to be a satellite, as there is no other possible source.

This is an interesting assertion. "No other possible source"? You're sure? You can prove that?

No actual celestial object can behave in the manner that has been described in the OP. Thus, the only reasonable alternatives are man-made objects such as satellites, or aircraft. If basically stationary in the sky, then probability of it being a satellite is weakened. Even balloons (still aircraft of a sort) would not be anticipated to brighten, fade away, return, fluctuation in brightness, then fade away yet again, over such a short interval.

BrooksObs

#28 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

Forgive me if I don't share your certainty about these things. Personally, I don't know everything. But then, I don't pretend to.

#29 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:53 PM

Forgive me if I don't share your certainty about these things. Personally, I don't know everything. But then, I don't pretend to.

Well then, by all means let's all hear your alternate explanations. I certainly await your words of wisdom.

BrooksObs

#30 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

I have already presented my idea.

But, I'm not the one saying what is and isn't possible. I'm still waiting for some proof to back that statement up. So far all I've seen is opinion.

#31 steveward53

steveward53

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Newmarket,UK

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

I would suggest that any object , be it celestial or something closer to home when viewed low down in the sky near the horizon can , through atmospheric intervention i.e. thin hazy cloud not necessarily obvious to the naked eye , be seen to "brighten , fade away , return , fluctuate in brightness ,then fade away again ".

Whether that object is a star , planet , aircraft , helicopter , satellite , balloon or any other immediately unidentifiable source of light will probably never be proven , but I would like to see possible sensible suggestions made as to it's identity rather than dismissive offhand remarks.

Mini-rant over.

#32 kt4hx

kt4hx

Mariner 2

• Loc: Fredericksburg, Va

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

Post deleted by tecmage

#33 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Post deleted by tecmage

#34 tecmage

tecmage

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Glenview, IL

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thread is open for business. I will remind everyone that the Terms of Service (that we all agreed to as part of registering for this site) requires us to be respectful.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics