• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

This is a nice time of year for binocular viewing.

Last night my wife and I enjoyed an early evening session. Thanks to the end of DST, we could view Pleiades, Hyades, Melotte 20 (a personal fave), and M39. We also spent some time just cruising the Milky Way, I with 15X70s and she with 9x63s.

The seeing wasn't good, but the transparency seemed very good. The area near the Double Cluster looked 3-dimensional, and scanning the area around M39 was quite impressive also.

By the time I remembered to look for M31, it was near zenith. I looked for it a bit, but the cervical swivel mount (my neck) was stiff and uncooperative. Oh well, I like Andromeda better in a scope anyway.

Clear skies,
David

#2 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

I've begun to do more and more binocular observing in the past year than I have in the past twenty years. It's exceptionally "grab and go" with a minimum of accessories.

It's almost reverse telescope observing for me. I slowly wander the star fields (and how lovely those star fields are!) and when I find something that might be an object, then I'll go look it up on a chart.

Binocular observing is a very refreshing form of observing.

One thing it has done to really increase my enjoyment of astronomy is that it really gives me a mental star map of the constellations and the brighter objects within them. In other words, I feel as if I know the sky more.

#3 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yes, this is a nice time of the year for BV. Right now out my back door facing east after 7pm the sky is filled with stars and pretty clusters. Yes the Melotte 20 is a good one for me in bino's and the Pleides for sure. Later on in the evening I love checking out the 3-4 bright star clusters in Auriga. Lately I have just been using my 8x40's, but will have to get out my 9x63's that i have on a tabletop mirror mount for overhead viewing like M31 and m33.

Clear skies!

#4 galexand

galexand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's never quite clear this time of year (hey, did I say that in spring and summer and winter too?). So it's a great time for binos -- you can really get your money's worth out of a little hole in the clouds!

#5 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

yeah binos...but this time of year I should have coffee next to me not a 6pack. :lol:

Attached Files

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Thanks to the end of DST, we could view Pleiades, Hyades, Melotte 20 (a personal fave), and M39.

Did just that a few nights ago. I think that Melotte 20, the Alpha Persei Cluster, is my very favorite binocular target in the entire sky. It always reminds me of a dragon, with the (non-member) red giant Sigma Tau as its glowing eye.

M39 is another example of a big, bright, coarse cluster that's arguably better in low- and medium-power binoculars than in any telescope.

#7 Ed D

Ed D

Gemini

• Loc: Sunny South Florida

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Got my binos out to get a glimpse of the 'dragon'. :watching:
:cloudy: SURPRISE! :cloudy:

Ed D

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics