CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas RA "wobble" diagnosed (I think)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pdfermat

pdfermat

Apollo

• Loc: Wisconsin

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:17 PM

First of all - for all you Atlas-type owners, this is a great resource. I'm sure nearly everyone knows about it or has seen it, but I thought I'd put it out there.

When I lock down the clutches in my Atlas, there is still a little "wobble" back and forth in RA. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, and ever since, it's been getting worse.

I went through the RA worm gear engagement process in the above link, which I thought would fix it. Turns out I'm pretty sure the RA worm and carrier were tuned appropriately, but I think the wobble I'm seeing comes from what is called the "worm end float covers". These act as "stops" at the end of the worm. One had loosened just a bit, which was allowing for some play.

The thing is, you can only tighten them down so much. When they are properly seated, there is still just a hair of play in the axis.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before? I'm wondering if there's a fix, or if it really needs no fix, or if it's just a limitation of the design, whereas the solution (I guess) becomes "buy a Losmandy/AP/more expensive mount"...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics