• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

Howdy all;

Well, the universe supplied me with someone who bought my old 16 inch Newtonian and I am going to use the money to buy a CGEM from Starizona in Tucson. This will be my second CGEM and I had lots of fun with the old one.

My long term plan is to image all the Barnard dark nebulae. I will start easy and use wide angle lenses piggybacked on a Vixen ED 80. Once I have shot some wide field images with the Canon T2i then I want to move on to an 8 inch Celestron with a Hyperstar lens system and a one shot color CCD camera. That will give 400mm focal length and obviously lots more aperture.

I do love the alignment routine built into the CGEM, it always put me right on the pole. I also found it easy to set up and use. All of the equipment mentioned above will add up to less than 25 pounds or so and I like the idea of never over stressing a mount when trying to take images.

I have no doubt I will do some visual with both the ED 80 and the 8 inch SCT. I am looking forward to all of it. I am certain you will see some observations with this set up in my "What's Up" column here on Cloudy Nights. Just look under "articles" and then "monthly".

If you will pardon me, I need to remove the 16 inch scope from my sign off and make room for the CGEM and more.

I am going to pick up the mount at the big ASAE conference and show in Tucson--next weekend!!

I just watched Animal House...so to quote that famous philosopher "Flounder"...Oh boy, is this great.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

#2 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:42 AM

Here is a shot of my old CGEM with the TV 102 and a piggybacked camera. The new setup with be very similar.

Clear skies;
Steve Coe

Attached Files

#3 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:57 AM

Congrats! I also do like the polar alignment routine built into the Celestrons. That was one of the reasons I stuck with them when I ordered a CGE Pro to replace my CGEM this week. Hard to beat the NexStar.

#4 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Cool :) good luck!

#5 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Sounds like you are headed forcsome good times. Congrats!

#6 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Thanks for the good thoughts, folks. I am obviously excited. Plenty to shoot at for years to come.

Take Care;
Steve Coe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics