CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AP1600: Height of pier above floor?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dawziecat

dawziecat

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

I am not sure which forum to post this in. As I feel many more folks read the mounts section than the observatories forum, I am asking here.

I am building an observatory. The pier is already in. The final level of the finished floor is still to be decided.

I just had delivery on an AP1600 mount. It is pretty big!
What pier height above the finished floor are folks using with their AP1600 and AP1200 mounts?

This is critical as the observatory walls are to be 6'0" high and there must be room for the gear to remain clear of the roof rafters when in the parked position.

#2 bigeastro

bigeastro

Lift Off

• Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Did you ever get an answer to this?  I have the exact same situation.  Looked at your web page.  What height did you use?

Thanks

#3 dawziecat

dawziecat

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:11 PM

Hi bigeast:

No, I never got any suggestions but decided "all by myself." :D

The height from my finished floor to the top of the AP1600 base plate, is 45 inches.
When I built the obs., I had not thought a larger OTA than a TAK TOA-150 was going to go in it. The AGO iDK 14.5" in AP Park 1 position is a very tight fit! Too tight for comfort. Were I redoing things, instead of 45", I'd aim for 43".

Keep your options open. You might want a larger instrument in the future than you even dream of now! :crazy:

Attached Files

#4 bigeastro

bigeastro

Lift Off

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:31 PM

Thank you very much.  My observatory looks very much like yours.  I can't remember why I chose to go 6' total height, but there must have been a reason or some recommendations out there on a web site.  The roll off roof sits over that.  Anyways, my setup already has a pier since it is already in use with my G11.  I struggled to make a decision between the AP1100 and the AP1600.  The AP1100 fit comfortably.  I used the AP provided excel spreadsheet to estimate it, and used my current G11 as a base of measurement.  My G11 sits on a riser above my pier top which is square so when I eliminate the riser, some of the increase in size for the AP1100 was mitigated and I was left with almost the same clearance.  However the AP1600 is a different matter, and I am taking it to the limit.  I hope to fit something similar to what you have so this information is very helpful.  I hope I made the right decision to go for the AP1600.  Hope it fits!  My pier is a 10" steel tube.  Fabricated locally.  I would hate to have to cut it down, but if I have to so be it.  I will measure tonight.  How do you like your AP1600?  I m looking very much forward to the guiding it promises.  Coming from a G11 with 42 pounds of load, I bet it will be quite a difference. 

#5 dawziecat

dawziecat

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

How do you like your AP1600?

Just fine! The 1600 just sort of "happened." Original plan was a Mach 1 but then the observatory idea started to gel and I "upgraded" to the 1100 wait list. But, at the very last minute, I called AP and asked if they had a 1600 in stock and ready for shipment. Less than 48 hours later, a Fed Ex truck was backing down my driveway!

No regrets!

#6 bigeastro

bigeastro

Lift Off

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Goodness gracious,

I am at 45.5" in my current installation to the top of my mounting plate.   Looks like I am currently much higher than you.  Then I am going to have to add the distance from my top mounting plate to where you show the dimension line on your mount.  However I don't have a 14.5" scope.  I currently have a 10" RC and a 10" newt which I will mount side by side along with a borg 77ed for guiding with a barlow.  My critical dimension is being able to clear the roof rolling off.  It should fit.  I can also go through the trouble of raising the roll off roof using jacks and then placing another 4x4 on top.  I can also raise the weight a little on the counterweight side to roll off the roof.  I am not cutting the pier!.  Looks like if I want to get a much larger scope, I am going to have to raise the roll off roof a little.  Quite a hassle but not impossible.  I guess we shall see when it all arrives. 

Thanks again for the image.

#7 Aquatone

Aquatone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

Congratulations on your new AP1600GTO!

I am currently building an observatory and mounting my AP1600GTO on a 48" height ATS Pier as in the picture below. This is the same height as when I imaged from a portable ATS pier and it worked very well for me. The height also allows me to clear adjacent structures for lower altitudes. (Though I would not image under 40 degrees)

Chris

Attached Files

#8 bigeastro

bigeastro

Lift Off

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:56 PM

Thanks,

Big chunck of change but it will likely be worth it.

If you are going to have a roll off roof.  You should make the walls at least 6'6" and that is tight.  An even 7' would probably be even better and probably won't obstruct the telescope view.  I am saying this judging from the image provided by dawziecat.  I may have to raise my walls at least 3 to 6 inches.  We shall see.

• Edd Weninger likes this

#9 Aquatone

Aquatone

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

Forgot to mention my walls will be 78" high. (Actually a Pier-Tech roll-off) Measuring up, that seems about enough space for 12" to 14.5" telescopes in Park 1.

Chris

#10 bigeastro

bigeastro

Lift Off

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

That appears to be the optimum height.  When I upgrade I will have to raise my roof. 

Should not be too much of a problem with four floor jacks, a power drill, and two 2x6 sandwiched together on each side.....  I am actually talking myself into the improvement now as I write this!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics