CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Did Questar ever make photographic solar filters?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RichA

RichA

Messenger

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

I tried using an off-axis unit on a Q-7 but the image of the sun was far too bright. It was like the kind of filters Thousand Oaks made for photography. The brightness was uniform so I doubt it was deterioration of any kind, no pinholes.

#2 ColoHank

ColoHank

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: western Colorado

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:00 PM

My Questar off-axis solar filter yields very pleasing orange images. Definitely not too bright.

What shutter speed are you using?

#3 Les

Les

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

I don't see anything on the Company 7 site for white light work. If you are doing eyepiece photography, maybe adding a polarizing filter or Moon filter will help.

Actually most photographic filters pass more light not less, hence the prohibition against viewing directly through a photographic solar filter.

If you are handy, you might try making your own aperture mask out of Baader Solar film. I have used a Solar film filter for a Televue 85 on my Q50th and find it delivers all the resolution I get from my Questar filter, although the sun's disk appears white instead of yellow. Actually, that is a help for my old eyes as it enhances contrast.

It does seem odd that you can't photograph something that you can comfortably view visually.

#4 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 10 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Don't use Polaroid or acetate (theatre) gells - although in combo they may appear dark to the eye, they TRANSMIT IR/heat virtually unimpeded ! ! :<(

#5 Les

Les

Viking 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

I certainly wasn't suggesting using eyepiece filters WITHOUT a solar objective filter in place. But the mylar solar filters work well and are used by many.

#6 Billydee

Billydee

Viking 1

• Loc: Winter Haven, FL

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:07 PM

RichA,

Questar makes a Variable Polarizer Filter for the Questar 3.5 or for the Questar 7 Axial Port (PN19276). The filter costs $453.00 (2008 price list). This would be the way to go for photo work. You should call Jim R at Questar and find out what the max % of transparency is. I would guess that you could use it in addtion to the OTA solar filter.

They also have a 30% polarizer filter that screws to the bottom of the Brandon EPs or the Camera Coupling Set that is part of the 10 piece filter set (PN19235)(set price was $276 in 2008).

Bill

#7 RichA

RichA

Messenger

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

Actually, I'm not trying to do photography. I've seen an off-axis Q7 filter that yielded images FAR too bright to be used visually, so it reminded me of photographic solar filters from other manufacturers. I wanted to know if it was made purposely this way since it didn't appear faded or damaged in any way.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics