"False" Albireo (Alpha Vul)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Over the years, I've looked at Albireo countless times and have gotten its separation engrained in my mind.

I recently went looking for it with binoculars out at a dark sky site and nearly logged it, when I realized I was looking at the wrong star pair!

Near Albireo is Alpha Vulpeculae which looks just like Albireo does in a telescope! It even has roughly the same color contrast, just not as intense to my eyes. You actually can get both Alpha Vul and Beta Cyg in the same FOV of a 6 degree FOV binoculars, with Albiero clealy being the tighter pair.

#2 Astrodj

Astrodj

Viking 1

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Alpha Vul is a pretty optical pairing at 20x. I was in Vulpecula with my 5" sct a couple of nights ago and gave it a look-see. I'll see if I can get both Alpha Vul and Beta Cyg in my 8x42's tonight. It's clear and cold here tonight. :jump:

#3 macpurity

macpurity

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Quad Cities, Iowa, USA

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

I can't say for sure that I've purposefully looked at this corner of the sky (observed Albireo dozens and dozens of times).

Next chance I get, I'll take a look for alpha and 8 Vul (aka STF A 47). WDS lists it with a 2012 separation of 426.6 arcsec. Definitely a low power pair, let alone getting Albireo in the FOV. Thanks for the heads-up!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics