• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brave_ulysses

brave_ulysses

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: far outside the wire

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

a minor gloat - too bad this doesn't happen more often. i have been in contact with our electric provider over the past 2-3 years concerning a couple of security lights on the street behind my house. they have been moderately responsive, but i hit the jackpot with my latest request. roll on the dark(er) skies!

Your mention that the light had recently been "reactivate" prompted a little research here in the office today. As it turns out, no one of paying the monthly rental for these two lights. We have created a service order to have them disconnected; however, should someone request reconnect and agree to pay the monthly fees, there has been a noted added to lower the light in question today.

David M*******
General Manager/CEO

#2 richard7

richard7

Not Quite

• Moderators
  • Loc: Sacramento

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:26 PM

Sounds interesting. You can only hope no one will start paying for it.

#3 obin robinson

obin robinson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: League City, TX

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

If only the average citizen realized how much money they were throwing away daily in paying for these lights. I bet half of them would be removed permanently.

obin ;)

#4 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

You know, that's a great idea! There is a housing development behind me and there Dec's and Covenants, which I have a copy of, stated there would be no lights on the streets. Then the city put them up....BUT, I wonder who owns the land?
If the developer still does, then he or the homeoners should be paying the city for electric charges!

I'll have to did into that. I already did on my streets and the city said that they don't own the streets.

#5 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Well... I had an experience this weekend.

I live in an apartment complex. Some of the buildings like the one I live in are one story 4 plexus. All of my neighbors know that I'm usually outside on our big large back lawn if it's clear out. My next door neighbor couple were gone for the evening but had their grown children over for the night.

One of the persons there came out to smoke saw me, finished their smoke and went inside....but left the outdoors patio light on which spotlights the whole back lawn.

I went over and knocked on the sliding glass door for several minutes with no response. I went around to the front door, leaving all of my stuff unprotected from any passersby. I knocked on the door loudly enough to be heard but not banging on it, I didn't want to be rude. After knocking, waiting, knocking, waiting and continuing this process for about 5 minutes, an annoyed young lady opened the door.

Surprisingly, when all I asked her to do was to please turn off her patio light as it was blinding my observation, she said "sure, no problem" and shut the door.

When I went through my apartment to my patio, the outside light next door was turned off.

In the morning, I saw my neighbor come out for a smoke and to let her dog do it's thing. She never said a word about the night before and I didn't press it.

So, it does pay to ask nicely, but be persistent.

This even worked with the neighbor two doors down who has a habit of leaving their front door and back door light on EVERY night. I guess they're afraid of the dark or something. But I did ask and they turned their patio light off too.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics