8 replies to this topic

#1 Agatheron

Agatheron

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was giving my new StarSense Autoalign a test run on my CPC800 tonight. It works great, I'm very happy with its pointing accuracy. Uranus was an easy find, first try.

However, something happened tonight that has me worried about the health of my scope. I've had a few similar issues with it, earlier, but I thought they might be poor battery issues. Tonight pretty much confirmed that it isn't power issues, as I've been using wall power for the past several times I've been using it.

Anyway, as it was swinging north the power began to flicker, and the motor sounded funny. It still got to its point because of the auto-align, but when I leaned down to look through the eyepiece, I could distinctly smell the acrid odour of unhappy electrical stuff. The scope was still operating fine, so computer-wise nothing is wrong.

I sniffed around, and the smell was coming out of the base around the various plug holes. I immediately shut everything down and brought it inside. It wasn't a strong smell, but enough to have me worried that the bearings might be seized, and/or the Az motor isn't working properly.

Anyway, any advice as to how to proceed? I'm thinking of replacing the bearings in the base of the scope, but should I look at replacing the motor as well if need be?

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Forget messing with the bearings. Call Celestron.

#3 Agatheron

Agatheron

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

I'll call them later today. Here's one question though, if I overtightened the clutch, would this cause motor strain?

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 12 November 2013 - 04:22 PM

Nope...shouldn't.

#5 Agatheron

Agatheron

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

I was wondering, as some of the information on the Celestron support site itself warns about tightening the clutch too much can cause motor strain.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well, if you have your clutch very tight, you could try backing it off, I reckon.

#7 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

You could call All Star Telescopes in Didsbury. The owner is pretty knowledgeable and helpful.

#8 Agatheron

Agatheron

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:19 PM

All-Star is where I bought the SSA in person. I'll give Ken a shout and ask as well. I'll try things next time with a not-so-tight clutch, and if I get some more strain issues, then I'll know if it is more serious!

Another thought: the scope is nearly 3 years old since I purchased it. It has had light to moderate use. Is it time to re grease the gears?

#9 Radiostar

Radiostar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

I am going to take a (very) wild stab in the dark and say you have an intermittent electrical connection that is arcing as it makes and breaks the connection. I don't think the bearings would produce that electrical acrid smell. Unless you are familiar with electronics I would let a pro look at it first.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics