• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi all. I am looking for a program that I can use to log my observations. I am thinking I might use my laptop at the telescope and log as I observe. The ability to add an image or drawing into the log is something I am looking for also. Thanks for helping.

#2 dan777

dan777

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

I use a digital voice recorder at the scope and at some later time (or date) I transcribe to a Microsoft Word document. Occasionally I will add an image. With the computer at the scope, you could enter your observing data directly into a word processor file and you could make your own observing log template.

#3 JimK

JimK

Skygazer

• Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:40 PM

I use SkyTools 3 -- it has my observing lists, charts on-demand, advice, and observation logs. I use it for planing, but some also connect it to the telescope for control during an observing session. Images are linked, in this version, to the object (not the log).

#4 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will look at those ideas.

What about AstroPlanner? Anyone used this program? All I need is something to log observations. I have my iPad for controlling my telescope and planning sessions. Cheers

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

AstroPlanner is excellent. I generally use Deep Sky Planner or SkyTools, but I have used AP extensively in the past and have no complaints there.

#6 AndreaF

AndreaF

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Italy - Venice

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Observation Manager...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics