• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hartmann

Hartmann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hello
I will get a 127 Mak tube and i need a mount because ionly have a standard photo tripode.

it must have slow motion controls , not very heavy if i want to go out with the scope and , and strong enought for not have vibrations while observing.

I´m not sure if get an AZ or Equatorial. It depends on the weight and price, but I was thinking in a NEQ-3 or something similar in AZ like Vixen porta or similars.

I don´t have plans for astrophotography

#2 chazcheese

chazcheese

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Az

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:30 PM

I've been away from astronomy for awhile (5 years) due to health issues and I'm just getting back so I don't know the latest and greatest. I can tell you that the Vixen porta mount will work with a 127mm mak easily. But with the narrow field of view you might want something that tracks. I use a Meade LX75 mount for goto or a CG5 (over kill) for my 102mm mak. Maybe an Astroview or any equivalent mount with tracking will work. Good luck and clear skies!

#3 Hesiod

Hesiod

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

A cheap and lightweighted option could be Celestron SLT (if you like the electronic stuff). Once the tracking is on (and if you do not plan to touch your scope/focuser/EP very often) it "leaps" less than a Porta.
OTA + mount could be packed inside a medium sized trekking backpack (i.e. 45 l)

#4 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

You will get recommendations for each type, but really none of us can guide you very well.

It would seem like having tracking with such a narrow field instrument would be good, but there are plenty of people that use these small instruments with Alt-Az mounts.

If you think tracking would be good, but then you have the added weighht of the counterweight.

I use a Vixen Polaris. It only takes like 6 lbs of counterweight to balance, and I enjoy the ablility to track when I want to.

But again, that is me.

You really need to decide for yourself if tracking matters.

If it doesn't, a Vixen Porta or Voyager might be a great, light weight, quick to deploy mount.

If you want traking, there are several small GEMs that would work for you that can cost less than a sturdy Alt-Az!!! I saw a brand new, in the box CG4 for sale here on CN for $200!!!!

So you know the basic pros and cons of your choices already...

What is it that you need the most from the mount. Light weight, or traking. In the end, that is the real choice, isn't it?

We can't really tell you anything but what we prefer and you will get as many people saying to use Alt-Az as you get saying use a GEM.

Or, get both.. LOL.

#5 Hartmann

Hartmann

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

If you want traking, there are several small GEMs that would work for you that can cost less than a sturdy Alt-Az!!! I saw a brand new, in the box CG4 for sale here on CN for $200!!!!

So you know the basic pros and cons of your choices already...

What is it that you need the most from the mount. Light weight, or traking. In the end, that is the real choice, isn't it?

We can't really tell you anything but what we prefer and you will get as many people saying to use Alt-Az as you get saying use a GEM.

Or, get both.. LOL.

Thanks. it´s and important point. i see that there are skywatcher NEQ-3 for 200 euros here in europe, less expensive than a Vixen porta and allow to make tracking and use motors in the future if i want.

i can´t get both , :bawling: it would be very expensive.

Also i have an azimutal tabletop mount from a 80 mm short focal telescope with 1/4 screw that allow use it in standard photo tripods and is pretty heavy ..2kg. But I don´t kwow if it can be used with the mak because i don´t have the telescope yet.

i think that i will go for a NEQ-3 or similar. and DIY a better Azimutal mount.

Mi actual mount and telescope is this,

Cloudy Nights forum

#6 Kfrank

Kfrank

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Colorado

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

If you don't want a GEM and would like tracking, consider a Celestron NextStar 6/8SE mount. No manual operation but reliable goto and tracking plus it's essentially designed for that size and type of scope.

#7 k5apl

k5apl

Viking 1

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:51 PM

I recommend the CG5 Celestron. Can get it with or without
GoTo.
Wes

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics