UGC 5904 A pair of interacting galaxies Arp missed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mantrap Lake, MN

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:09 AM

UGC 05904 is a pair of likely interacting galaxies in Ursa Major about 300 million light-years distant. The southern member, UGC 5904a, a Sb galaxy with a narrow line active galaxy nucleus is also known as 2MFGC 08412 so makes the less demanding 2 micron flat galaxy catalog but isn't flat enough for the FGC itself. It's companion, UGC 05904b is listed as an elliptical galaxy. It seems to have a well defined core with a rather blue disk and apparent dust lanes that seem to define a vague spiral pattern. While it's redshift would seem to put it more distant than UGC 05904a by some 3 million light-years this is likely just due to their relative velocities rather than being a real distance difference. Which galaxy is in front? If it is the edge on spiral it could be the dust lanes in the elliptical are due to the dust lane in the spiral seen against the more distant elliptical. Still it looks to me that the elliptical is in front. Spectral data should answer this question but I found none in the literature. The disk of the spiral is warped with the north west end bending up and the southeast end warped down. Though much of this downward warp is due to a plume like blob of stars with the actual disk extending pretty much on plane beyond it. But even that does warp down some. The northwest end can be seen beyond the elliptical and appears rather like a blob rather than a well defined end of the edge on disk you'd expect to see.

Beside the normal objects in my annotated image this one has one listed as a candidate for a broad lined AGN and an entry from the SHOC catalog which lists galaxies from the Sloan survey with HII emission and an abundance of Oxygen. The letters stand for Sloan HII galaxies with Oxygen Abundances Catalog. Now that's a mouthful. The galaxy is a blue compact galaxy as well. There are two other NLAGN galaxies in the image besides UGC 05904a. Besides the 3 distant quasars and one quasar candidate (UvES) in the image there were even more just outside my field of view. No asteroids however. Declination is too high for most known asteroids.

Again seeing and transparency was well below normal. This robbed me of a couple magnitudes. The one galaxy cluster would normally have stood out quite well in normal conditions, rather than being a barely resolved blob you see here.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10', STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Full image at my usual 1" per pixel

Annotated
Edit: Above link fixed

Attached cropped image at 0.67" per pixel

Rick

Attached Files

#2 Louietheflyisme

Louietheflyisme

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 14 November 2013 - 03:08 AM

Nice work. The galaxies really are deep into interaction- wel done on capturing that so well!

#3 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

That's an interesting pic Rick.
I wish Hubble would zoom in on it.

#4 PrestonE

PrestonE

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Rick, as usual another interesting interacting pair. I really look forward to each and every pic and write up that you submit.

Best Regards,

Preston

#5 ICallHimGamblor

ICallHimGamblor

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Am I insane, or do the two links point to the same un-annotated pic?

#6 rigel123

rigel123

Voyager 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Great image of that extragalactic crash!

#7 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:01 PM

Am I insane, or do the two links point to the same un-annotated pic?

No I was for not catching it. Link fixed. Guess after that idiot driver spun out knocking my stopped car off the road and down a 15 foot bluff giving me a skull fracture I'm not working on all cylinders right now. I checked the link and seemed to see it was right when it wasn't.

Rick

#8 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

Both links are still invalid for me.

#9 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

It appears the SpaceBanter server lost the entire post. I've reposted it but unfortunately that changed the links and CloudyNights doesn't allow a poster to correct a mistake after a day or so. They believe incorrect data should not be corrected it appears.

Here are the new links for those that scroll down this far.

Full image

Annotated

Maybe a moderator can put these links into the original post, I'm not allowed to correct my own post even if it is labeled as a correction with the incorrect data shown.

Rick

#10 lambermo

lambermo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: .nl

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Thanks for the fixed URLs. What did you find on the candidate blagn ? (what's its designation)

#11 Rick J

Rick J

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Here's the LINK to the info.

It's only known by its J2000 position in the SDSS and [VCV2006] catalogs. Those get long and messy for the annotated images so I usually omit them.

Rick

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics