LX850 PPEC results.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

Tonight I ran 12 cycles of PEMPRO plots on my LX850 and arrived at just under 10 a/s of PE Pk-Pk. Depending on a few factors I can typically see anywhere from 8 - 11. I wanted to image tonight so I started off with a base line. Then I ran Starlock assisted PEC training. I set the aggressiveness of tracking to 33% (whatever that means) which was what the manual tells me to do. Then I ran a PEC train then followed it up with I think 5 or 6 updates. I lost count since I was watching TV at the time :)

The next photo shows that it knocked the PE down to just above 3 a/s Pk-Pk. Ok now we're in business!! Next I wanted to see what Starlock would do if I tried to auto-calibrate it. I typically don't like to use auto calibrate because my seeing is so bad being at the eastern foothills of a mountain that runs N/S along the coast of SoCal. I typically get a lot of turbulence and I think even the jet stream has shifted right over my head! What I typically do is do a 3 minute image then look at the star at 600%. If it is round I push it up to 500 seconds and recheck. If it is not round I adjust the aggressiveness either higher or lower until the star is round then I push it up to 600 seconds, then 800 seconds and finally 1200 seconds. If the star stays round then I leave the settings alone and start imaging.

Tonight I got as far as slewing to the Elephant Trunk and took one 30 second exposure to check pointing. I couldn't see anything at all so I went outside and see that the clouds have moved in and the telescope was pointed at one of my palm trees. At 1:15AM I am done for the night but I still think the mount did very well squashing PE and I wanted to share that. I am going to try to attach the images here that I screenshotted The first one is 12 cycles of data, the next was I think 6 and the third was I think 5. If for some reason you want he raw log files PM me and I'll email them to you.

Attached Files

#2 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

Second image. This one was after one train and maybe 5 updates. I did NOT pull this into the Starlock PEC util and sharpen or smooth it. Juts did it all in the mount.

Attached Files

#3 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

And this is with Starlock guiding after doing an auto calibration. I find this really remarkable since my seeing is so horrible and obviously there is enough moisture in the air for clouds to form. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to try for some crazy long exposures just to show what it can do.

Attached Files

#4 Alph

Alph

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melmac

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

It would be helpful to look at your log file. Screenshots don't tell the whole story.

#5 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 14 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Tonight I ran 12 cycles of PEMPRO plots on my LX850 and arrived at just under 10 a/s of PE Pk-Pk. Depending on a few factors I can typically see anywhere from 8 - 11. I wanted to image tonight so I started off with a base line. Then I ran Starlock assisted PEC training. I set the aggressiveness of tracking to 33% (whatever that means) which was what the manual tells me to do. Then I ran a PEC train then followed it up with I think 5 or 6 updates. I lost count since I was watching TV at the time :)

The next photo shows that it knocked the PE down to just above 3 a/s Pk-Pk. Ok now we're in business!! Next I wanted to see what Starlock would do if I tried to auto-calibrate it. I typically don't like to use auto calibrate because my seeing is so bad being at the eastern foothills of a mountain that runs N/S along the coast of SoCal. I typically get a lot of turbulence and I think even the jet stream has shifted right over my head! What I typically do is do a 3 minute image then look at the star at 600%. If it is round I push it up to 500 seconds and recheck. If it is not round I adjust the aggressiveness either higher or lower until the star is round then I push it up to 600 seconds, then 800 seconds and finally 1200 seconds. If the star stays round then I leave the settings alone and start imaging.

Tonight I got as far as slewing to the Elephant Trunk and took one 30 second exposure to check pointing. I couldn't see anything at all so I went outside and see that the clouds have moved in and the telescope was pointed at one of my palm trees. At 1:15AM I am done for the night but I still think the mount did very well squashing PE and I wanted to share that. I am going to try to attach the images here that I screenshotted The first one is 12 cycles of data, the next was I think 6 and the third was I think 5. If for some reason you want he raw log files PM me and I'll email them to you.

Running the StarLock Utility I was getting around 6.5 a/s, corrected under 3 a/s Pk-Pk, so we are definitely in the ball park and getting very good results.

I did not adjust the aggressiveness manually - I just went with ARC which so far has done the trick for me.

Now, if the weather would only cooperate here too!

#6 galaxy_jason

galaxy_jason

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

I find that the automatic aggressiveness number is a little too high in some cases. If you have a good polar alignment best results are with 10-20, at least on the three units I tested. If polar alignment is off it may need to be a little higher in dec.

#7 Whichwayisnorth

Whichwayisnorth

Surveyor 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

Running the StarLock Utility I was getting around 6.5 a/s, corrected under 3 a/s Pk-Pk, so we are definitely in the ball park and getting very good results.

I did not adjust the aggressiveness manually - I just went with ARC which so far has done the trick for me.

Now, if the weather would only cooperate here too!

You can tweak these mounts to get them down under 5 arc/seconds uncorrected PE. The best I've done is just over 4. The problem though is consistency. Having low PE 360 degrees around the main gear is not always possible. Main gears or ring gears are seldom ever absolutely perfectly round. So when you get good PE on a low spot and hit a high spot it changes. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. You won't know what your mount can do until you decide to take a night and test as much of the wheel as possible. Then you may find that you have to give up a few arc/seconds to gain consistency. So congrats on your 6.5 and others who have low PE. I am especially jealous if they can maintain that low PE all the way around. The best I can do so far is about 8.5 a/s. Which is still great. I can easily correct most of that out and Starlock takes over from there.

It's not the journey but the destination? ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics