Keeping focus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

Why do I have to re-focus every time I go out?

#2 zuben122

zuben122

Explorer 1

Posted 14 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

You asked this same question back in June and I don't think the answer has changed. Focus will change as a function of temperature and seeing. With the weather cooling down, if you take the telescope from a 60 degree garage and it's 40 degrees outside, the telescope will actually contract a small but finite amount thereby requiring focus changes. Also, seeing varies night to night and even during the night requiring focus changes as well.

#3 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

Re-focusing is such a minor thing why worry about it.

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 14 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

I use the nifty motofocus with shoestring FCUSB. Makes frequent focusing a snap from indoors and for the CpC and mCX i find that I am constantly tweaking focus as I move around the sky and change filters. Highly recommend it and it's not expensive upgrade either

Al

#5 HeyJP

HeyJP

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Boulder, CO

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

Sometimes it gets cold at night. Sometimes it gets warm during the day. Often they both happen in the same 24 hours. Many parts of your scope expand and contract continuously a temperature changes, all at different rates. And they don't always come back to the exact same spot at the same time the next night.

As you probably have seen, your focus changes throughout the night with temperature change and as you move your telescope to different positions as the weight bearing forces change.

Tweak it every so often and keep looking and shooting.

JP

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:53 AM

You asked this same question back in June and I don't think the answer has changed.

Yep, and conditions are even worse this time of the year than they were the last time you asked. Even a carbon fiber tube will require some refocusing.

#7 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

Things change. Also, it is always possible that someone has come up with a viable solution since my last post. Thanks.
Jim

#8 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:53 AM

There's no solution for the expansion/contraction of materials due to temperature change. ;)

#9 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Things change. Also, it is always possible that someone has come up with a viable solution since my last post. Thanks.
Jim

Superficially perhaps, an attorney's final plea in a lost cause, but after almost 3000 posts on CN, I can't help thinking that our Jim's not been attempting to take us for a ride all along .............. or ? :idea:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics