29 replies to this topic

#1 Arpita

Arpita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:10 AM

Hello,
I am new to telescopes.
I want to gift a telescope to my husband who is an amateur celestial viewer.
I have shortlisted two telescopes.
Need your opinion for the same.
First one is from a local shop in INDIA, who has more than 20 years of experience in making telescopes.
The specs are as follows:
Diameter/Aperture: 76mm
Focal Length: 700mm
Optical Design Newtonian
Lens Material Glass
Diameter 76mm
Focal Length 700mm
Scondary Mirror Diameter 20mm
F/ratio F/9.2
Faintest Steller Magnitude 12
Resoving Power 1.5
Focuser diameter 1.25”
Eyepiece(s) 1.25” - 25mm and 9mm
Barlow Lens 3x Barlow
Mount Type Alt-Azimuth
Slow-motion Control Vertical Only
Accessory Tray Wall-to-wall
Tube Weight 1.76Kgs
Tube Dimension(dia. x length) 12.5cm x 68.5cm
Tripod Height 67-119cm
Shipping Weight 9 Kgs
233x Magnification
Aluminized and overcoated mirrors
Smooth rack-and-pinion 1.25" focuser
Perfect for all-around astronomical observing
18% more light gathering power than 70mm. Enough to allow simple study of star clusters and nebulas
http://www.galileote...s.php?pro_id=89
Next one is
Celestron Powerseeker 70AZ.
http://www.celestron...eeker-70az.html

Both have same price range in INDIA.
But weight for the first one is 9KG and for celeston is only 2.9Kg.

Can you guys please suggest which telescope I should buy.

#2 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:56 AM

Hi Arpita and welcome to CN! That's a nice gesture indeed. In my opinion neither of those scopes would help much in bringing out details in Planets or nebulae. Perhaps if you state your budget then we could help you make a better choice?

#3 Arpita

Arpita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:57 AM

My budget is 100 USD.
I am also thinking for Celestron AstroMaster 70AZ Telescope.
Kindly suggest.
web page

#4 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

In India due to Customs, sales tax and cess duties, costs are double compared to U.S. At this stage, unless you can pay for say a 4.5" Dobsonian, I wouldn't for the sake of buying a scope get either package. These scopes may well be suited for children starting out but for an adult, it may end in dissapointment. Why not tell him what you intend to gift him but with an intention to hold off till such time you save some more? Maybe he could chip in as well. Just a thought.

#5 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:06 AM

Maybe combine your monies into one pot and get the scope together for you both to spend some quality time together under the stars.......

#6 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Hi Arpita and welcome to CN! That's a nice gesture indeed. In my opinion neither of those scopes would help much in bringing out details in Planets or nebulae. Perhaps if you state your budget then we could help you make a better choice?

Actually, both a 76-mm reflector and a 70-mm refractor can be pretty good telescopes, capable of resolving a surprising amount of detail on the Moon and planets.

I haven't seen either scope, so it's hard to guess which would work better. Optically, they should both be very comparable, so it comes down mostly to mechanical quality.

I would say that while better scopes are clearly available, they're both probably pretty good deals considering what they cost.

My hunch is that the reflector will work better. I've had better luck with low-cost reflectors than low-cost refractors. And I like the choice of eyepieces supplied with it better.

#7 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:53 AM

Actually, both a 76-mm reflector and a 70-mm refractor can be pretty good telescopes, capable of resolving a surprising amount of detail on the Moon and planets.

I haven't seen either scope, so it's hard to guess which would work better. Optically, they should both be very comparable, so it comes down mostly to mechanical quality.

I would say that while better scopes are clearly available, they're both probably pretty good deals considering what they cost.

My hunch is that the reflector will work better. I've had better luck with low-cost reflectors than low-cost refractors. And I like the choice of eyepieces supplied with it better.

I am not going to pit myself against you. :grin: FWIW, I have viewed through a 71mm Refractor and have seen more details on M 31 and the Lagoon than through my 4" Refractor, perhaps due to seeing conditions or ED objective I don't know. However, the ED glass combined with a stable mount ( CG-5 ) is pretty well over the OP's budget.

#8 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

• Loc: none of your buss

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

i think the 70mm refractor (2nd one) is a bit better than the reflector(1st one)but both mount and tripods are not good, iam afraid he may find keeping the image steady is going to be hard. If you can find that 70mm refractor on a AZ3 or EQ2 mount that will be much better for him as an adult.

#9 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

heres a few link that show better scope altho more than a $100 these can last a lot longer and make his viewing better much better.

http://www.khanscope...?productID=4384

http://www.khanscope...?productID=2146

http://www.khanscope...?productID=2212

http://www.khanscope...?productID=4389

#10 LDW47

LDW47

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

In India due to Customs, sales tax and cess duties, costs are double compared to U.S. At this stage, unless you can pay for say a 4.5" Dobsonian, I wouldn't for the sake of buying a scope get either package. These scopes may well be suited for children starting out but for an adult, it may end in dissapointment. Why not tell him what you intend to gift him but with an intention to hold off till such time you save some more? Maybe he could chip in as well. Just a thought.

I agree, I don't think he will stay satisfied very long ! At that point he will either be turned off or the spending urge will begin so why not keep your hard earned $ a little longer, do some more research, ask some more questions and then spend a little more for a much better package !? I think you will find, many times, is that there is a fine line between a poor scope and great scope for just a small difference in cost !? Take some good advice from some very knowledgable people on here and I think in the end you and your hubby will be happy ! Until the fever / urge starts that is !! LOL !!

#11 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:52 AM

i think the 70mm refractor (2nd one) is a bit better than the reflector(1st one)but both mount and tripods are not good, iam afraid he may find keeping the image steady is going to be hard.

I have evaluated a number of inexpensive 70-mm refractors and 76-mm reflectors. In general, I would say that the optics on the refractors are better, but the reflectors are much stabler and easier to use. I'm not sure exactly why that is. It's obviously partly because you view from the top of a reflector and the bottom of a refractor, so the tripod can be a lot shorter -- and therefore more stable -- on the reflector than on the refractor. In addition, I suspect it's because the reflectors are better balanced.

I reviewed the Orion 76-mm alt-az reflector, which looks outwardly identical to the Galileo reflector mentioned by the OP, except that it has a (good) red-dot finder instead of an (undoubtedly terrible) 5x24 finderscope.

I and my ex-colleague Josh Roth, another small-scope enthusiast, found the Orion 76-mm reflector a true joy to use. You can read our review here.

If the Galileo scope is even close in quality to the Orion scope, there's no fear of it deterring a serious enthusiast from pursuing the hobby. Many of the people who write regularly for this group started with significantly worse telescopes.

Also, remember -- this is India, not the U.S. People don't expect to have everything served up on a silver platter; they're used to making do with balky tools, cars, and suchlike. A far more fruitful attitude, if you ask me.

#12 Arpita

Arpita

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

Thanks you all for the above comments.
I would also like to know your comments on
Orion SkyScanner 100mm TableTop Reflector Telescope.
I was able to find a site who can import this scope from US.
I have to pay Rs.14000/- which comes to about to 280$.
Is it worth spending this much money in this telescope?
Waiting for your comments :)

#13 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Yes, the Orion Skyscanner 100mm is a good serious scope for the money. Re-confirm price before payment.

#14 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

yes i think that can fit very nicely too.too bad shipping is abit expensive but you will like a scope like this much better then the first ones you mentioned.

#15 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Voyager 1

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yeow! I wouldn't spend that much if I could get a 76-mm reflector for $100.

#16 Joe Aguiar

Joe Aguiar

Vanguard

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

altho sounds like whatever she buys will have alot of duties and taxes so maybe get a scope that will last many yrs and pay the fess only once.

#17 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

I use my 60x700mm refractor A LOT! Even though I have an xt8 and a 114x500mm reflector. I would say probably MORE than either. I watch birds, animals, people, and observe stars, clusters, planets, and moon. You can't knock something cause its small or budget. I found it for $5 (probably saved it from the garbage can) and after I completely took it apart and cleaned it up its the most used one here. Its the person USING it that says how much its enjoyed.

#18 rnc39560

rnc39560

Vanguard

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 19 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

if they also can order a decent smaller one WITHOUT all the shipping fees and such, it maybe a good idea. What if a more expensive one gets there with ALL the $ in shipping and they need a part later?

#19 SpaceConqueror3

SpaceConqueror3

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

[quote name="Tony Flanders"][quote]
I reviewed the Orion 76-mm alt-az reflector, which looks outwardly identical to the Galileo reflector mentioned by the OP, except that it has a (good) red-dot finder instead of an (undoubtedly terrible) 5x24 finderscope.

I and my ex-colleague Josh Roth, another small-scope enthusiast, found the Orion 76-mm reflector a true joy to use. You can read our review here.

If the Galileo scope is even close in quality to the Orion scope, there's no fear of it deterring a serious enthusiast from pursuing the hobby. Many of the people who write regularly for this group started with significantly worse telescopes.

Also, remember -- this is India, not the U.S. People don't expect to have everything served up on a silver platter; they're used to making do with balky tools, cars, and suchlike. A far more fruitful attitude, if you ask me. [/quote]

I think that is very sage advise. I personally made hay with a 76mm reflector for several years when I started the hobby and wouldn't hesitate recommending that particular Orion telescope to anyone either.

#20 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 21 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hello,

I have no idea about ebay in India, but it looks like there might be some good deals there?

Celestron 130EQ for Rs 13,965 ?
http://www.ebay.in/i...321346145?pt...

Or a Celestron 114 for Rs 9900 + 950 shipping?
http://www.ebay.in/i...escope-for-a...

Hopefully that helps some?

#21 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

A 76mm reflector is capable of showing quite a bit if that is all you can afford. Ebay USA often has used ones rather cheap,mine wa $15 plus shipping several years ago. No idea how much or if shipping from USA to India is reasonable.

#22 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: You can't see me...

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

Would this be too much

http://m.snapdeal.co...pe/1178694Would this be too much?

#23 JustaBoy

JustaBoy

Skylab

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Celestron 130EQ for Rs 13,965 ?
http://www.ebay.in/i...321346145?pt...

Now this is a Very Nice scope, and capable of so much more than the ones mentioned in the OP.

If you can handle the additional cost, this would be my choice. - Wish I had one a 10th that good when I started out 55+yrs ago.

Thank you,

-Chuck

#24 hwhall

hwhall

Messenger

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

Should they give some consideration to the possible. or eventual, need to collimate a reflector vs a refractor? Collimation seems to get confusing with all the different tools for it. Refractors shouldn't need such tinkering.

I got a 70mm Celestron Powerseeker refractor a few years ago and I wish I had had that good of a scope when I started playing with astronomy in high school. I have that, a 60mm refractor, a 114mm newtonian & a 76mm catadioptric. The 60mm one gets the most use, being light & easy to set up.

From my own limited experience, I think I'd always offer a newcomer a refractor first. But your mileage may vary!

--Wayne

#25 SpooPoker

SpooPoker

Viking 1

• Loc: North Bay CA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:19 AM

The most important aspect in astronomy: Ones budget and ones interest.

I do not buy into this idea that a small aperture instrument is nigh on useless. Ideally one would go for a 6" scope but this not being possible, go for what you can afford - and if that is a 70mm refractor, then go for it.

I play around with small scopes most nights, mainly to train myself to see better.

I think even the humble 60mm f/12 - f/15 achromat will surprise anyone that bothers to look through one. I find the Moon and Jupiter revealing many details and the 60mm splits many double stars effortlessly. I would imagine a 70mm refractor or reflector would be in the same ballpark.

Your husband will certainly enjoy the 70mm scope, the Moon is a very obvious target. Jupiter will show at least two bands to a casual observer, more details to an experienced observer. Saturn's rings will be resolved, the Cassini division would be challenge but it is nonetheless feasible for a small instrument. Mercury and Venus will show up in various phases that can be resolved by a 70mm scope. Brighter Nebula and open clusters will be good targets for a 70mm scope. Double stars with angular separation > 2" can be split.

There is plenty to see with a 70mm scope. It will not match up to a C14 or a 16" DOB, but it certainly is not useless. What you get for $100 is hours of enjoyment, that makes the scope a worthwhile purchase for your husband. I hope he enjoys it!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics