First Sketch Jupiter

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

First one this season, seeing Ant II to III 19 Nov 2013 1700UT.

GRS more of a raw sienna. Some indentations in both NEB and SEB. Lots of activity in the NEB. The North appears to be almost a solid hood with the NTempZ less distinct.

Attached Files

#2 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

Very fine sketch indeed!
Randolph

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:54 PM

Hi Norme,

Oh Boy, here we go with the fantastic sketches of Jupiter. I think I'm going to enjoy these all winter(I hope).
Great looking sketch.

Frank :)

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

Thanks guys. I'm a little worried about the seeing in my new location. It seems more variable than previous years further north. It's okay, have to observe through it. Just gonna be more difficult to drain out the finer details. Maybe as winter sets in it'll improve a bit more. Seeing was about Ant II and deteriorated to Ant III as Jupiter hit the Zenith.

The NEB seems ripe with activity, but it's difficult to get a good look and pin down. The GRS seems to be more raw sienna or yellow ochre, almost an orange hue. There was an interesting 'dent' in the southern SEB preceding the GRS and a faint jet of darker cloud preceding it. A bright zone was seen just north of the SEB with an larger bright area preceding the GRS, as well.

The trailing wake seemed less defined, maybe due to seeing or not having observed Jupiter in nearly a year. Also, no EQ belt and few festoons were visible. Some have speculated Jupiter is less vibrant this season. Ya, is it?

Below is a sketch to highlight the "white areas."

Attached Files

#5 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:43 AM

Awesome! Norme brings us some Jove! Good color recognition in the NEB and NTB. The blue sideways festoon looks bizarre and intriguing at the same time. I think you will work out the seeing conditions. Honestly, you were just spoiled with regular Ant I seeing. :grin: If I had Ant II-III here I wouldn't know what to do with myself. :lol:

So, do you feel like a kid in a candy store with that darkened GRS?

#6 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

hi Norme,

good work, with detailed GRS !

Bye
Christian

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:47 AM

Thank you, Christian. Jason, you're absolutely correct, its easy to get spoiled. Too easy, and it hurts to break away. :)

Who knows, maybe it will clean up a bit. Still, trying to figure it out is difficult, but it's something to do. It might be two things, but I need the clouds to go away to find out.

One, it's the different directions of different altitude winds. Tonight surface and mid level are blowing from the east. As you go up, they are blowing from the west. This creates sheer. Or the second thing could be the prevailing low winds blowing over the small city upwind. It could be picking up some heat and dragging it overhead.

Jason, last night I split 52 Ori, but it was just you're run of the mill split - a dark space and two shimmering discs. But in great seeing when the image congeals into a pair of headlights in the distance, there are few words to describe it. Jupiter opens up her robe and she's just beautiful. Those are the nights you fall on your knees and give a silent prayer of thanks. Yea, very spoiled.

Gaaa! :lol:

#8 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

Good job :applause:

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:44 PM

Norme,

Great sketch with lots of detail--Jupiter is just going to get better with an increase in apparent diameter and, more importantly, more opprtunities to train the eye. I have to retrain my eye every apparition to see maximum detail. You're off to a good start. :)

Glad to hear from you--hope you weren't hurt too bad by the typhoon. Very sorry to hear about all the suffering there.

#10 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

Michael, thank you. Yea, the typhoon passed well south of us with only a little rain and light wind. Yea, down south did not fare so well. It's not comforting to hear of the damage and tragedy.

It's been a while since Jupiter has been around, so maybe some eye retraining is the thing. Good point. Thought it was lacking a tiny bit, maybe you're right - it requires getting accustomed to her again.

Jef, thank you.

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Norme,
Happy to hear you weathered that storm. And I don't think your drawing is lacking--its got some good detail. :)

#12 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

Very good observation and sketch :waytogo:

#13 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:06 PM

Norme,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#14 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:08 PM

Great sketch. Love how got the scales right. That is always hard for me

#15 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Michael, maybe it shows more that I let on, but it just seems to be lacking somehow. Maybe need to get reacquainted with observing Jupiter (like last night, just watched it between the cloud cover.) It could be seeing boils the image a bit more than previously and maybe observing was just more difficult. Maybe I should stop crying and just enjoy it. :grin:

Thank you all, it's a pleasure sharing observations.

Matty, it can be difficult. It's easier iffen you can make a template. Take a real current image of Jupiter and insert it into powerpoint or some other like program. Put an ellipse exactly on the circumference. Then trace each belt and zone directly from the image. Then delete the image leaving only the outlines. Make a copy of that circumference to use as a mask and blacken the background. Add 'paint.' That's one way to do it, surely there are others.

Here's the original without the mask. It's a great place to keep your color palette, too. So much easier to get the dimensions right and keep colors consistent (and change them if necessary.)

Attached Files

#16 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

Norme,

Great Jove capture! Glad to see that your unique presentation style has remained unchanged. So tell me, is the GRS darker this season. Is there a chance that I might finally catch a glimpse of it once my viewing conditions improve (no less than 10 cloudy nights in a row and counting)?

:grin:

-stray-

#17 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

Stray, thank you. I think it is definitely darker meaning more of a yellow ocher than the pale salmon color of last year.

#18 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

Norme - A great sketch of Jupiter. For me, the GRS is also
looking darker and easier to observe this year.

#19 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Norme.

Glad to see your Jupiter's sketches back. Very well done.

Andre.

#20 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thank you, guys...it's the season. :)

Rutilus, what about the hue? What are you getting?

#21 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

Excellent first effort on Jupiter your, colors are great, it should be an outstanding Jupiter observing season this year as long as the weather is clear.

#22 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:39 PM

:bow: Thanks, again, Tommy. Yea, color is an acquired taste. Jupiter at a glance appears very much grey scale and color can be difficult to nail down. Color becomes more apparent with time at the eyepiece and Jove simply explodes with detail when it does.

#23 Eric63

Eric63

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, Ontario

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

Norme, it's nice to see you sketching Jove again. I so enjoy your sketches since it give me an idea of what can be seen in a medium size Mak. I don't have your seeing conditions or your aperture, but on a few occasions I have had breath taking views when it all came together. Your sketches and posts about your Mak have always been a source of inspiration. :bow:

Eric

#24 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Norme, I've loved your computer paint technique since the first sketch I saw of yours.

Also interesting is your interpretation of the color of the GRS this year. I still need to catch a glimpse. That might be a while, though. Tomorrow morning is calling for 16°F with 15-20 MPH winds. That just ain't happening. :lol:

#25 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Eric, thank you so much. Hey, it's those breath taking views we both achieve that I try to get across and share with you all. That's where the inspiration and admiration of Jove lay, and we both can experience it. :)

Jason, after 6 months of constant cloud cover, "it ain't happening" is perfectly understandable. I must confess loving the computer technique. I leave the colors more saturated than the more grey scale actually observed. This way, you do not have to work as hard for an hour to see it. :)

I really appreciate folks taking the time to reply, it makes sharing the joy much more enjoyable. Thank you for that.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics