Sun 2013 11 20

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

A couple of white light solar sketches from earlier today in poor seeing.

Antoniadi V, 38ºF

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 03:05 PM

Excellent work. The detail on sunspot 1899 is wonderful. For poor seeing you've managed to tease out so much...Imagining what that "spot" actually is and how enormous it is as well adds to my enjoyment of seeing your work.
Randolph

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

Jason, I was brought up being told never to point a telescope at the Sun. Burned a hole in a 2x4 with my home built 6" mirror to drive home the point. Maybe it is okay to do so. :)

It'as interesting you and Andre have very similar observations near the same time showing the same relative locations of the spots. Never been much of a solar observer, more of a worshiper. I hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through your observations (just try not to channel me while sleeping, though. Grumpy energy, you know. :grin:)

You put up a nice sketch and actually managed some smaller details in (gulp) Ant V. The sun spot 1899 gives the impression the sun's surface is "hot." Of course it is hot, it's a well known fact. But hot enough to cause something to boil and roll and pop out of the plasma like you've captured it, I mean. Well done, sir. I'm happy to see you observing, sketching , and reporting the enjoyment you get from doing so.

Edit: Yesterday was beautifully clear all day. As soon as the sun fell below the Earth, clouds roil in. Seems a nasty pattern of late, so I wait out the clouds knowing they will be gone by morning. Last night it was still overcast at 3AM and fell asleep watching Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura - about global warming, ironically. Sure enough, awoke at 8AM to perfectly clear skies. Can't win, so maybe some solar observing is in order. I do think about it from time to time.

#4 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

Wow Jason, you close up is very impressive and well done. Congratulation my friend.

Very excellent sketches.

Andre.

#5 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Excellent work. The detail on sunspot 1899 is wonderful. For poor seeing you've managed to tease out so much...Imagining what that "spot" actually is and how enormous it is as well adds to my enjoyment of seeing your work.
Randolph

Thanks, Randolph. :) Saying the seeing was Ant V is slightly misleading. There were a few distinct moments of calm that lasted less than a few seconds each. Those moments were like brief snippets of visual heaven, but required that I keep my eye planted into the eyepiece for long and arduous stretches. :grin:

#6 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Jason, I was brought up being told never to point a telescope at the Sun. Burned a hole in a 2x4 with my home built 6" mirror to drive home the point. Maybe it is okay to do so. :)

It'as interesting you and Andre have very similar observations near the same time showing the same relative locations of the spots. Never been much of a solar observer, more of a worshiper. I hope you don't mind if I live vicariously through your observations (just try not to channel me while sleeping, though. Grumpy energy, you know. :grin:)

You put up a nice sketch and actually managed some smaller details in (gulp) Ant V. The sun spot 1899 gives the impression the sun's surface is "hot." Of course it is hot, it's a well known fact. But hot enough to cause something to boil and roll and pop out of the plasma like you've captured it, I mean. Well done, sir. I'm happy to see you observing, sketching , and reporting the enjoyment you get from doing so.

Edit: Yesterday was beautifully clear all day. As soon as the sun fell below the Earth, clouds roil in. Seems a nasty pattern of late, so I wait out the clouds knowing they will be gone by morning. Last night it was still overcast at 3AM and fell asleep watching Conspiracy Theory with Jesse Ventura - about global warming, ironically. Sure enough, awoke at 8AM to perfectly clear skies. Can't win, so maybe some solar observing is in order. I do think about it from time to time.

Thank you, Norme. As for those evening clouds rolling in, I know that level of frustration. It happens here quite often...year round. It's the good nights that make the journal entry. :crazy:

#7 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Wow Jason, you close up is very impressive and well done. Congratulation my friend.

Very excellent sketches.

Andre.

Thank you so much, André.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:02 AM

Jason,

Very fine.
I especially like the close up of the spots.

Frank :)

#9 Aquarellia

Aquarellia

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Provence, France

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

Superb Jason !

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Jason,

Very good sketches of the Nov. 20th Sun :cool:.

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Jason,

That's a nice full disk solar sketch--really a lot of activity right now. The close up of AR1899 is very well done--judging from the full disk drawing, that spot is at least 2 Earth diamters across. Nice work!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics