• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 LDW47

LDW47

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

There have been on going back and forth discussions on Grab and Go ! So let's get everyone's thoughts as to the definition / meaning of G & G if one can actually come up with a final that will satisfy everyone's interpretations ! This should be interesting if nothing else !?

#2 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:09 PM

It's a telescope, mount, and eyepiece(s) that are ready to go at a moment's notice. The scope will either already be equilibrated, or close to it. When assembled, their combined weight and size would make them easy to pickup, and easy to relocate.

For me, I have a C6, and C90 OTA in the trunk of the car, soaking in the ambient temperature. It only takes a few minutes to set up the mount, run and get an OTA, mount it, and start viewing. If I want to move it, I can easily pick it all up as one piece, and move it around without any strain. This may not be "officially" grab 'n go (since the OTA is stored separate from the mount), but it still works for me!

YMMV...

:D

#3 chazcheese

chazcheese

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Phoenix, Az

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

My definition is a setup that you don't have to either assemble at all and can carry with one hand out the door or you can have both the scope and mount in each hand and get out in one trip. The two hand method requires only one button push to put on or take off the scope.
My Manfrotto 3021 tripod w/Manfrotto 501 mount and ST80 is my heavy G&G. The Manfrotto compact mkc3-h01 mount & tripod with the Stellarvue 50mm finder/mini-telescope is the light G&G. The only time they're not setup and ready to go is when the grandkids are over :flexible: :whee: :whee: :woohoo:

#4 -Starfighter-

-Starfighter-

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kelowna, Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:27 PM

2 main things for a grab and go:

1) Mobility
2) Ease of set-up

My version is a short tube refractor with an alt z mount. My set-up is a little large for mobility, best would be a MAK 90 or small comparable refractor with an alt z. If you can hike with it in your back pack that's mobile.

#5 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

• Loc: Desierto de Sonora

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

The only criteria I have for designating a setup as grab-and-go is whether or not I can pick up the entire rig - OTA/mount/tripod - and easily carry it in and out of the house. I leave my C80 mounted up on it's tripod just for this purpose. No set up required. Carry it out back, take the caps off, and observe in less than a few minutes.

#6 MessiToM

MessiToM

Viking 1

• Loc: Huntingdon PA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:33 PM

I miss those days. ^

#7 rockethead26

rockethead26

Gemini

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

It's a telescope, mount, and eyepiece(s) that are ready to go at a moment's notice

This sounds like a good, simple definition to me.

I just this week put together my first Grab and Go. A C80ED on a Porta II mount and a wooden tripod. My Baader Hyperion Zoom lives in the 2" diagonal. The whole thing can easily be picked up and carried out the front door. It takes about a minute from decision to observing.

If I want to stay out a while I'll need to run in and grab my observing chair. Make that 1 1/2 minutes.

#8 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:03 PM

^ My setup exactly Jim, although I have a Celestron zoom instead of the Baader. The rig is a pleasure to use and the simplicity is a big part of that IMO.

#9 youngamateur42

youngamateur42

Surveyor 1

• Loc: La Verne, CA

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Like many of the responses, portability, ease of use, etc. my grab and go us my Observer 70. It weighs about 6 and a half pounds and can be set up on a moments notice. I think that one of the best things to have and is a big part of grab and go is a zoom eyepiece. Most of the 8-24's out there are pretty good, and have a large range of magnifications available. I need to get a zoom again

#10 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

It's a telescope, mount, and eyepiece(s) that are ready to go at a moment's notice. The scope will either already be equilibrated, or close to it. When assembled, their combined weight and size would make them easy to pickup, and easy to relocate.

For me, I have a C6, and C90 OTA in the trunk of the car, soaking in the ambient temperature. It only takes a few minutes to set up the mount, run and get an OTA, mount it, and start viewing. If I want to move it, I can easily pick it all up as one piece, and move it around without any strain. This may not be "officially" grab 'n go (since the OTA is stored separate from the mount), but it still works for me!

YMMV...

Everyone has their own idea. For me I tried a 4" Celestron on a mount and it only took a couple minutes to move out. But my 18" Obsession has wheelbarrow wheels on. I keep it in the garage, so I just wheel it out and with the laser collimation it's ready to view in 10 mins or less. It's grab-n-go for me!

#11 -Starfighter-

-Starfighter-

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Kelowna, Canada

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

I second the zoom eyepiece...

#12 Pauls72

Pauls72

Viking 1

• Loc: LaPorte, IN

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:49 PM

I can carry everything out in one trip. Just enough so I can go out sit down and enjoy the night sky.
EQ1 style gem with a 102mm MCT or ST80 and one or two eyepieces.

#13 lagagnon

lagagnon

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Vancouver Island

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

Grab and go is the "usual" for me. I live on the south edge of a city of 300,000 and have a lot of tall trees in my small back yard and a very bright streetlight in the front. My usual observing location is an official dark sky site 15-20 minutes drive away - although it's not all that dark ;-)

My only scope is a Celestron CR-150HD 6" refractor. I have the tube in scope bag with finder attached, the mount ready and setup on the tripod in my garage and accessories in a plastic storage bin.

I can have all in the back of a Toyota Matrix in 1 minute, setup takes me about 5 minutes, so I'm basically ready to observe in less than half an hour and still waiting for my eyes to dark adapt.

I'm happy with that at the moment. There is a much better dark sky site about 1 hours drive away but have not yet tried that site. Still a newbie and always learning...

#14 Pinbout

Pinbout

Cosmos

• Loc: nj

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:59 PM

my grab and go, I can pick it up and go, preferably with one hand, all in one trip.

here's my one handed rig. eyepieces in my coat, so it is a one trip grab and go.

Attached Files

#15 DarkDisplay

DarkDisplay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:44 PM

Just right for me is my Vanguard Endeavor HD spotting scope and Endeavor ED binocular. A wonderful grab and go combo for day or night viewing. Very light and portable. (See my recent post in the "Binoculars" forum.)

Best wishes,
Frank

#16 esd726

esd726

Apollo

• Loc: Rochester, IN

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:40 AM

If I can take it outside, use it "right away" and then take right back in. All this with the leasts amount of work.

#17 WesC

WesC

Vanguard

• Loc: La Crescenta, CA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:56 AM

A good pair of binoculars.

#18 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

A small Mak and a tripod.

#19 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

I had a GrabnGo, then my wife got jealous..... :lol:

#20 dpippel

dpippel

Apollo

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

There's one in every crowd... :grin:

#21 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

Viking 1

• Loc: In a galaxy far far away...

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

There's one in every crowd... :grin:

More than one. Last week I found that my el-cheapo Celestron 15x70 were just the thing to spot ISON without having to take my grab'n'go (Mak 102mm + Manfrotto 055 Xprob).

Sometimes, uber grab'n go is more comvenient than standard grab'n go... :roflmao:

#22 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Agree with the others...scope/mount/eyepieces/accessories in one trip out the door! It doesn't mean that it has to cool quickly necessarily, I use a C6 SCT which takes time, but it has to be carried in and out in one trip! Makes for great utilization on worknights, partially cloudy or short sessions when setting up anything would be a hassle! Most of my scopes are g-n-g, it fits my lifestyle. Along the lines of JG Wentworth..."I want my Grab-n-Go and I want it NOW!" :grin:

#23 seawolfe

seawolfe

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

My "grab and Go" is my Celestron 20X80 binoculars mounted on a 1st surface mirror mount and a Celestron Astromaster Alt-Az tripod.

Attached Files

#24 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

For me, what qualifies as "Grab an Go":

- A scope that I will use when I want to take a quick look (5 minutes) at a particular object, Venus in the sunrise, .. This means out the door in one piece, mount and all, little need to cool down.

- A rig that is easily put in the car and taken somewhere for viewing and is easily setup and ready to go from the get go.

About the only scopes that qualify are small, relatively fast refractors and alt-az mounts. Other small scopes have thermal issues that mean that for a quick look at 170x, there will likely be problems. About the largest scope I consider as G n' G is the NP-101 on the Portamount. The scope is about 28 inches long with the diagonal, it fits through doorways on the tripod with the legs extended and spread. Thermally it will provide very good high power views right off the bat.

Size wise, it's got to be easily moved in one piece, fit in a vehicle without much effort. It's true that I can roll my 25 inch Dob out the garage door and it can be "ready" in less than 10 minutes but it's not a scope I setup unless I have an entire evening to devote to observing. And taking it somewhere for observing, definitely not an easy task. One does not "grab" a large scope, if you try to merely "grab it", it is unyielding and it will not move. It's a serious bit of work and when it is setup, a big scope is not really ready, the views at high magnifications will be disappointing...

10 minutes in the backyard, what rig will I choose.. Going to the top of Mt. Soledad for the sunset, what scope will I choose..

Jon

I can see a 90mm Mak or a small Newtonian as grab and go but both have thermal issues and the Mak's narrow field of view limits it's usefulness..

Jon

#25 LDW47

LDW47

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

I think up to now we are all saying the same thing ! Light / quick / great views which is kind of what I thought but I have the feeling others think differently based on a few comments I have read lately ? Where are they with their comments / thoughts ?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics