supernova searching

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark N

Mark N

Vostok 1

• Loc: Minnesota

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is anyone familiar with extra-galactic(word?)searching for supernovas? How about search programs and image-comparing software? Can video camera equip be of use? I remember an article in one of the astronomy magazines a couple of yrs ago, but don't have any of the back issues available where I live. Any help is appreciated.

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

Respectfully suggest you get in touch with Tom Boles whose successes run well into three figures.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Is anyone familiar with extra-galactic(word?)searching for supernovas? How about search programs and image-comparing software? Can video camera equip be of use? I remember an article in one of the astronomy magazines a couple of yrs ago, but don't have any of the back issues available where I live. Any help is appreciated.

I do it but not obsessively and have SN2011az to my credit - the fifth person to do so in UK ;) So no match for top trio here Tom Boles, Ron Arbour and Mark Armstrong.

Basically you need to get down to mag 16 stars [typical for bright SN] or fainter and image and check as many gxys as you can in a session. Always take 2 images per field to avoid hot pixels and asteroids. Check on registering your discovery correctly - don't just post here as other may register it for themselves - yes it has happened :o Good luck :rainbow:

#4 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

[quote name="nytecam"][quote] Check on registering your discovery correctly - don't just post here as other may register it for themselves - yes it has happened :o Good luck :rainbow: [/quote]

wow could you give more details on this !?

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

[quote name="dobsoscope"][quote][quote] Check on registering your discovery correctly - don't just post here as other may register it for themselves - yes it has happened :o Good luck :rainbow: [/quote]

wow could you give more details on this !? [/quote]Suggest you get Martin Mobberley's book on SN Hunting pub Springer - can't / won't do tutorials via internet - good luck :-)

#6 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I was only referring to the 'others may register it for themselves - yes it has happened'

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics