•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

supernova searching

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark N

Mark N

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Is anyone familiar with extra-galactic(word?)searching for supernovas? How about search programs and image-comparing software? Can video camera equip be of use? I remember an article in one of the astronomy magazines a couple of yrs ago, but don't have any of the back issues available where I live. Any help is appreciated.

#2 brianb11213

brianb11213

Cosmos

• Loc: 55.215N 6.554W

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

Respectfully suggest you get in touch with Tom Boles whose successes run well into three figures.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Is anyone familiar with extra-galactic(word?)searching for supernovas? How about search programs and image-comparing software? Can video camera equip be of use? I remember an article in one of the astronomy magazines a couple of yrs ago, but don't have any of the back issues available where I live. Any help is appreciated.

I do it but not obsessively and have SN2011az to my credit - the fifth person to do so in UK ;) So no match for top trio here Tom Boles, Ron Arbour and Mark Armstrong.

Basically you need to get down to mag 16 stars [typical for bright SN] or fainter and image and check as many gxys as you can in a session. Always take 2 images per field to avoid hot pixels and asteroids. Check on registering your discovery correctly - don't just post here as other may register it for themselves - yes it has happened :o Good luck :rainbow:

#4 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:59 AM

[quote name="nytecam"][quote] Check on registering your discovery correctly - don't just post here as other may register it for themselves - yes it has happened :o Good luck :rainbow: [/quote]

wow could you give more details on this !?

#5 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:55 AM

[quote name="dobsoscope"][quote][quote] Check on registering your discovery correctly - don't just post here as other may register it for themselves - yes it has happened :o Good luck :rainbow: [/quote]

wow could you give more details on this !? [/quote]Suggest you get Martin Mobberley's book on SN Hunting pub Springer - can't / won't do tutorials via internet - good luck :-)

#6 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I was only referring to the 'others may register it for themselves - yes it has happened'

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics