Eta Persei

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

So last night was a double bust. First, the transparency was falling flat as the night darkened. So my plan to sketch M31 was shot. With my normally measured NELM 6+ skies, and my newly finished 10" I can easily catch the third (fainter) dust lane on the dim side of the galaxy. Last night I could see nothing but the core. :(

So then I was moderately blessed with Antoniadi III seeing (trust me, it's better than I've had in a while). But no planets or lunar surface to sketch (the moon would have been nice, but with it's late rising over my higher eastern horizon made it a no go).

And with all that I was left with a GEM mounted 10", cloudless skies, two hours to kill, and no real plans. So I did some quick research on eye candy doubles for autumn skies and came up with Eta Persei. Finished image done in Photoshop.

Posted Image

#2 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

The original sketch

Posted Image

...and inverted

Posted Image

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

A third dust lane? "Easily" Ah, you don't need good seeing! If you did, you'd have your cake and eat it too. No matter how hard I try, I know that's just not possible. :grin:

Yea, it helps to have a plan. Without one, I spend two hours trying to figure out what to look at. hehe

As for Eta Cas, look at all those stars in the FOV. :drool: I hope you don't mind (after the fact) if I post mine to compare. I think there s a J component that was too dim for 6" aperture on that night.

Well done, Jason. Try AR Cas next. There's a double there you might be able to split.

Attached Files

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

Norme,

Very fine. We have all had nights like these.

Frank :)

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

Frank, yes, sharing the experience with Jason.

#6 stray1

stray1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:15 AM

Darn, Chop, I cannot see even a quarter of what your seeing through my dinky 90mm. I agree with Norme, great FOV and starfield. Heck, your rough sketch is a regular work of art compared to the scribbles that I produce.

Ready to tag a few carbons?

:grin:

-stray-

#7 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:46 AM

A third dust lane? "Easily" Ah, you don't need good seeing! If you did, you'd have your cake and eat it too. No matter how hard I try, I know that's just not possible. :grin:

Yea, it helps to have a plan. Without one, I spend two hours trying to figure out what to look at. hehe

As for Eta Cas, look at all those stars in the FOV. :drool: I hope you don't mind (after the fact) if I post mine to compare. I think there s a J component that was too dim for 6" aperture on that night.

Well done, Jason. Try AR Cas next. There's a double there you might be able to split.

Norme, thanks for all the info. Looks like Eta Cas is next on the list. The faint red companion makes for a beautiful pair. Your sketch is great, and shows a pleasant variation of stars.

As for AR, that's quite interesting, and new to me for that matter. I wonder if I can break that into all seven components on a night of good seeing... :grin:

#8 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Yes, eta's red companion is sweet. AR Cas wa new as well, until it appeared in s thread. I kind of lost track of your scope build, it seems you completed it? Are you still posting to that site? Link?

#9 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Darn, Chop, I cannot see even a quarter of what your seeing through my dinky 90mm. I agree with Norme, great FOV and starfield. Heck, your rough sketch is a regular work of art compared to the scribbles that I produce.

Ready to tag a few carbons?

:grin:

-stray-

:lol: Yup, I spent my first couple years of observing glued to my 110mm scope (still use it for solar). My next upgrade was a 12"!!! Talk about shock to the system! :lol: What remains from that scope is essentially a flocked rolled steel exoskeleton of a tube, and a primary mirror in a box waiting to undergo some project in the future. But I digress.

As for the pencil/pen points being a work of art, I am indebted to your kindness, Mark. :grin:

#10 Randolph Jay

Randolph Jay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Huntington, NY, USA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

I really appreciate seeing each step in producing the final job ( which is lovely ). Thank you!
Randolph

#11 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

I kind of lost track of your scope build, it seems you completed it? Are you still posting to that site? Link?

Okay, I'll throw a couple of scope pics up, and a link to the build project...only because you're twisting my arm. :grin:

LINK

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

I really appreciate seeing each step in producing the final job ( which is lovely ). Thank you!
Randolph

Thanks, Randolph! Happy to spread the love. :)

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:37 AM

Im glad twisting arms is an effective coercion technique. ;)

Some interesting points, will reply later. Long replies on small android screen...not easy.

Edit: Okay, those interesting points are, and in support of your Eta Cass observation, the color you chose, the curved spider vane looks nice, and the primary mirror back plate looks interesting. Well done. Okay, the color has little to do with your observation, but I like it. It's "modern" and stylish. Your caster wheels look like you could set up in just about any terrain. :lol: I got the impression your scope resembles a revered Criterion Dynascope. Yea, looks like you did well and your observations show it to be so. Well done.

#14 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 22 November 2013 - 02:46 PM

Jason,

Fine sketch of Eta Persei :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics